The United States Naval Academy.

The Naval Academy is a school not so well known as the Military Academy, and it is, perhaps, considered by some a school of minor importance and inferior aims. It is, however, a school quite on a par with West Point. The aims of the two schools are similar. The Naval Academy is designed to fit youths, presumably carefully selected, for the jonior grades of the line and engineer corps in the navy.

The school was founded in 1845, by the Hon. George Bancroft, then Secretary of Navy, and was located on government land at the mouth of the Severn river. From the time of its foundation improvements in the character of the school have been continually going on. The grounds have been cared for and are now kept in the trim state befitting government property.

In the stream, at anchor, are the various ships attached to the academy. Of these, the one of most interest is, perhaps, the "Santee," an old frigate, used as a place of confinement for those cadets who find academic law too Strict for their exuberant spirits. With regret it must be said that at present she has quite a full crew.

The corps of instructors, nearly seventy in number, or one instructor for every three cadets, consists principally of naval officers detailed for the purpose. The course is six years, four years at the academy and two years at sea. Practically the course is divided into periods of two years each. The first two years are devoted to giving the cadet-general instruction that will enable him to pursue his subsequent studies with greater facility. The succeeding two years are devoted to professional subjects, seamanship, gunnery, etc. The two years at sea are spent in sea-going ships and are devoted to the application of the principles learned at the academy, and to the requirement of that professional knowledge that can only be gained by experience. Such is the general plan of the Naval Academy. How well this plan is carried out, and whether in the best manner possible is a subject too long to be here entered upon. But this is certain, that the cadet who would go through the academy with success must "look alive." For to cover the ground, the daily lessons are something prodigious, while the examinations are extraordinarily severe. Only steady, constant application, backed by fair ability, will enable a cadet to maintain his position at the academy.

The routine and discipline are strictly military. Reveille at six o'clock is the signal for all to turn out. Roll call, breakfast, and the call to studies follow quickly. At half-past twelve the recall from studies sounds. Dinner at one o'clock. Then studies again from two until four, when the assembly for drill is sounded. Two hours of drill follow. Then supper at half-past six. There are two hours of study in the evening. Taps sounds at ten o'clock. The drills are varied and embrace every sort of practical exercise that a naval officer requires in the various duties he is called upon to perform. In the spring and fall, infantry, artillery, naval tactics, gunnery and seamanship drills are the programme. During the winter the classes drill separately, having fencing, boxing, dancing, gymnastics, signals work in the rigging and sail lofts, rifle and pistol practice, steam, and work in the machine shops. The drill squads are all under the supervision of naval officers. The course of drills has been carefully arranged and covers a great deal of ground. No detail is neglected. In the Naval Academy it is not sufficient to know how to act under ordinary circumstances. Every contingency must be foreseen and provided against. To secure this result, the machine shops provide means for practical work with iron and steel; a course in mechanical drawing renders unnecessary the assistance of draughtsmen.

The all important branches of navigation and gunnery are by no means neglected. Every cadet has practical experience in the use of great guns. A certain amount of target practice at long range being required; while frequent drills keep him ready in their handling. Much attention is devoted to the machine guns of recent invention. Their manipulation is carefully taught. In navigation, the practice cruises during the summer months afford opportunity for the application of the theoretical navigation "learned of books."

Thus it will be seen that the course at the Naval Academy is very comprehensive, and embraces all that is required to make a young man of good ability a capable and well informed naval officer. The readiness and experience requisite for the higher grades which can be gained only by actual service, must come in after years, and, as it comes the young officer finds greater responsibilities placed upon him, and broader fields of action opening before him.

In no other institutions of learning does merit receive so directly its reward as in the Naval and Military Academies. In no others is there so powerful a stimulant to stand high. For not only a man's rank, but also his very retention in the service depends upon his standing as a cadet. This, of course, reacts to make the standard at these academies very high. So that, of late, complaints have been made that the Naval Academy in particular was becoming a school of general science, and losing too much its characteristic peculiarities as a naval school. But we think this complaint is unfounded. The naval officer of the present must have a far broader education to enable him to perform his duties intelligently and keep informed in the discoveries of the scientific that are constantly being and which so vitally affect naval interests, than was required by the heroes of fifty or even twenty-five years ago.

Annapolis, Md. HOVEY.