PATROCLUS AND PENELOPE.

This is the title of a very entertaining work on horsemanship by Col. Theodore A. Dodge, U. S. Army. The most notewortey feature of the book are the plates, which are phototype reproductions from photographs of Patroclus, the author's famous horse, taken in action by Baldwin Coolidge. Of these the author says in his preface, "their origin lay in the bebelief that a fine gaited horse could be instantaneously photographed, and still show the agreeable action which all horse-lovers admire, and have been habituated to see drawn by artists, instead of the ungainly positions usually resulting from the instantaneous process." This object has been gained, so far at least as arrested motion can convey the idea of motion. There are fourteen of these illustrations, representing the horse running, trotting, cantering, jumping, etc. Col. Dodge has succeeded in giving much excellent advice on the management of a horse, while at the same time holding the reader's attention by the interest of the narrative. Tom, the companion of the author on many of his rambles, is a Harvard student who is just taking his first lessons in horsemanship, and it is through advice given him that much valuable knowledge is conveyed to the reader.- (Price, $3.00; Houghton, Mifflin and Co.