H. T. A. L.

ADDRESSES BY COL. T. W. HIGGINSON AND MRS. MARY A. LIVERMORE.

Last night, with all the rain, might be called by many an extremely appropriate night for temperance addresses; and those who thought that the rain would have no effect upon the size of the audience were in slight error, for the audience in Sanders last evening was quite large, and spoke well for the popularity of the speakers.

Col. Higginson spoke first. He did not think drinking intoxicants a sin in itself, like murder and theft. Nobody can call it such a sin. Some claim that intoxicants sharpen the wits, which is not so, and is couriously inconsistent with common facts. Often at our dinners the brightest speeches are made by the cold water men. Following are reasons for total abstinence, (1) every young man should seek to make the best of himself and avoid all the risks (which are great) of intemperance; (2), he should aim at simplicity of habits, striking the key of his life moderately; (3), he should aim at health of body, which is liable to injury from drink, for any temporary stimulus is always followed by a strong reaction; (4), he should have thought for his influence on others, inasmuch as often a mere word has an unspeakable influence, and example is a powerful element in life.

Mrs. Livermore was greeted with enthusiastic applause. She spoke both clearly and forcibly. During the war the greatest care was taken in examination of the recruits. Trifling defects had debarred many from the service. So young men to-day entering into the war of life may be kept from success by small temptations and weakness. The struggle of life requires physical and brain power, as well as the loftiest kind of morality. Drinking is more a sin against self, a sin like gluttony, licentiousness. The brain not only rules the body but it is dependent upon the body; so that an injury to one injures the other. Drinking is largely the first cause which fills prisons and asylums. Drink is a sin against others, against mothers, sisters and wives. They suffer, and from this experience they have come to organize the W. C. T. U., a thoroughly national organization. Mrs. Livermore gave from her own hospital experience many interesting and thrilling anecdotes of the war.