The Freshman Game.

The freshman game on Holmes was intensely exciting, especially after the fourth inning, when Yale began to do the heavy hitting which tied the score in the sixth inning. Both teams batted hard and fielded loosely. For the the first four innings Yale could do little with Palmer's pitching and failed to score, while our freshmen batted well and by costly errors of their opponents succeeded in scoring seven runs. In the fifth inning Palmer was batted all over the field, and five runs were made for the blue; in that inning one run was added to Harvard's score. In the sixth Austin was put in to pitch and aroused the enthusiasm of his classmates by striking out the first two men at the bat. After that he weakened and the Yale men made three runs. Harvard came to the bat, but was unable to score; the score was now tied on even innings. Intense was the excitement. In the next inning Yale opened heavily on Austin, and aided by fumbles and wild throws by the infield, made three runs; our freshmen scored once. It began to grow dark in the eight. but play was continued. Palmer was again put in to pitch. Through sharp playing by Foss and Gallivan Yale was blanked. Harvard came to the bat, made a hit, but was forced out at second by Fargo, who in turn scored second on a wild throw to first by McConkey. Foss got around to third on the same throw, and scored on Austin's hit, the run which tied the game. Ingersoll had just before fould out, and with two men out and a man on first the game was called on account of darkness. Austin, Holden and Hallowell batted the hardest for Harvard. Excepting some fine fly catches and a foul catch by Stagg, the fielding was not brilliant on eithre side. The umpiring was wretched, both sides suffering from, the bad judgment on strikes and balls, but the decisions on bases being invariably against Harvard.

The score:

HARVARD, '88.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. B.

Holden, 3b., 4 1 2 2 1 0 0

Hallowell, l. f., 4 0 2 2 1 0 0

Fargo, 1b., 5 2 1 1 9 0 1

Foss, 2b., 5 2 1 2 1 2 1

Ingersoll, c. f., 5 0 0 0 4 0 2

Austin r. f., p., 4 1 2 4 2 3 4

Choate, c., 3 2 1 1 6 1 7

Palmer, p., r. f., 2 0 0 0 0 7 1

Gallivan, s. s., 3 1 0 0 0 3 1

Totals, 35 11 9 12 24 16 17

YALE, '88A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. B.

Lux, c. f., 4 2 2 3 0 0 0

Kellogg, c., 5 2 2 2 8 2 7

McMillan, 2b., 5 0 1 2 2 2 0

Walker, l. f., 5 1 2 3 0 0 0

Stagg, 3b., 5 1 3 4 1 0 2

Velie, 1b., 5 0 1 1 8 0 2

Brigham, r. f., 4 2 1 1 2 0 0

McConkey, s. s., 3 1 0 0 1 4 2

Heyworth, p., 4 2 2 2 1 9 6

Totals, 40 11 14 18 23 17 19

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

H., '88, 0 3 2 2 1 0 1 2-11

Yale, '88, 0 0 0 0 5 3 3 0-11

Earned runs, Yale, 3; Harvard, 3. Two-base hits, Foss, Lux, Walker, Stagg. Three-base hit, Austin. First base on balls, off Austin, 2; off Heyworth, 6. First base on errors, Yales, 7; Harvard, 9. Struck out, Yale, 5; Harvard, 3. Passed balls, Choate, 6; Kellogg, 7. Wild pitches, Heyworth, 2; Austin, 1. Time, 2h. 40m. Umpire, D. Cronin of Cambridge