The Elective Pamphlet.

As is usually the case the elective pamphlet shows a great many changes over previous years. The principal changes in the different courses are given below.

In Semitic languages and history Professor Toy returns to take up his old courses. He and Professor Lyon will divide between each other the courses given by Professor Moore and Dr. Chester this year. The only change in the courses is that course 16 has been reduced to a half course which will run through the first half year.

All the courses in Indo-Iranian languages will be given next year by Professor Lanman, who takes in addition to his own courses those which were conducted this year by Mr. More.

The courses, as well as the instructors in Classical Philology have been considerably changed. Greek D, 16, 9, 4, 12, and the Seminary courses 34, 33, 30, 39, 35 are not in the list for the coming year. The new courses which are to be given next year are:

Latin 9, a half course in the practice in Latin expression and style, by Professor Greenough.

Seminary courses in classical philology:

31, a half course in the elements of Oscan and Umbrian by Professor Allen.

42, Introduction to the Critical Study of Homer by Professor Allen.

23, The Tragedies of Aeschylus by Professor Goodwin.

41, a half course on Cicero's Correspondence, by Professor Smith.

40, a half course on the Physical Theories of the Stoics, by Mr. Parker.

In English two new courses have been added.

30, a course in forensics and debating will be counted as an equivalent of English C and a half course of elective study. The course will be conducted by Assistant Professor Baker and Mr. Hayes.

29, a half course on the English novel, from Richardson to George Eliot, will be given by Professor Hill.

17, a half course has been changed in its character. It was formerly Mr. Baker's course on the English literature of the Elizabethan period. Next year it will be a course on the English literature of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries in relation to Italian and Spanish literature of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.

20b, a new course on the English literature in its relation to Italian literature in the sixteenth century will be conducted by Mr. Fletcher, but will not be given until 1896-97, alternating with 20a.

Assistant Professor Wendell will resume his duties next year. He will have charge, wholly or partially, of English B, 28, 23, 12 and 15. The addition of Messrs. Cobb, Flandrau and La Rose to the corps of instructors in English A is noted.

There are two new philological courses in German.

21, a half course on the history of the German language will be given by Professor von Jagemann.

20c, a course in the Seminary on Modern German will be conducted by Professor Francke.

Mr. Nichols's course, 6, is changed from a prose to a literature course.

Professor Francke, who returns from abroad, will conduct in addition to 20c his old courses 4, 5, 9, 11 and 19.

There are only two changes in the French department. 2 is divided into two courses, both treating with French prose and poetry, 2c and 2a.

14, a half course, in difficult modern French, which has been conducted by Professor Bocher, had been dropped.

In Italian the only change is that Mr. Fletcher will conduct 2 which was this year conducted by Assistant Professor Marsh.

Spanish 1a and 1b have been united, Mr. Fletcher being appointed in addition to Assistant Professor Marsh to conduct the course.

No changes have been made in the courses in Romance Philology and Comparative literature.

In Philosophy there are many changes owing to the absence of Professors Palmer and Munsterberg. The first change noted is in 1. The first half year Professor Royce will give lectures on Logic, and introductory lectures to philosophical study. For the second half year the student may take either Psychology by Professor James, or History of Philosophy, by Dr. Santayana.

2 has been divided into two half courses. Professor James will conduct the first half, and will be assisted by Dr. Singer in conducting the second half.

In place of 4, Professor Palmer's course on Ethics, a new course has been added:

15, on the chief types of ethical thought, with special reference to the schools of Socrates and Kant. It will be in charge of Dr. Santayana.

Courses 13 and 14, which were formerly half-courses, have been increased to whole courses.

20e has been changed in its character. Next year it will be a Sociological seminary, conducted by Professor Peabody.

20d will be conducted by Professor Ladd of Yale.

Professor Munsterberg will maintain advisory relations with the department by correspondence.

The History and Political Science department has undergone marked changes.

History 2, a new course on the political history of Greece to the Roman conquest, will be given by Dr. Botsford.

History 5 has been increased from a half to a whole course, and will be given as heretofore by Professor Emerton.

History 16 is a new half course to be given by Assistant Professor Hart, on the Federal History of Switzerland from the fourteenth century to the present time.

History 17, is a new course on the history of Athens. It will be given by Dr. Botsford but not until 1896-97. It will alternate with another course also to be given by Dr. Botsford,

History 18, on the Constitutional History of the Roman Republic to the Social war. This course will be given next year.

Government 13, a new course on the history of European law, will be given by Mr. Williams.

Mr. Snow's course on International law, Government 15, has been dropped as have also Mr. Conant's two courses, Government 17 and 18.

Professor Taussig returns from his sabbatical year and will take up his former courses in Economics.

Economics 4, is the only new course in this branch. It is a half course on the theory of statistics, and will be given by Dr. Cummings.

Under Fine Arts the notice of a course of research is omitted. There are no changes whatever in the department of Architecture, nor in the Music department, except that the seminary course, 20, is dropped from the list.

The courses in Mathematics are almost the same, except that 12 and 19 have each been divided into two half courses, and the mathematical seminary has been dropped.

In Engineering no changes have been made, except that course Ab has been discontinued, in accordance with the announcement made last year.

In Military Science, Lieutenant Robinson will give a new half course, 2, on military engineering. It will come in the second half year as a continuation of course 1.

The department of Physics has undergone no changes, but in Chemistry 2a a course in mineralogy formerly given has been dropped. 4a, a course in Quantitative Analysis, has also been dropped, but in place of it Assistant Professor Richards will give two new courses

9, a half course in Advanced quantitative analysis, and

10, a half course in gas analysis.

The character of course 6 has been changed. As it will be given next year, it will be a course in physical chemistry under Assistant Professor Richards.

The Botany courses are the same as this year, and in Zoology the only change is that the research course in comparative Osteology, 20c, has been dropped.

The department of Geology adds two new courses:

13, a course in invertebrate palaeontology, will be given by Dr. Jackson.

19, a half course in Climatology, will be given by Mr. Ward, but not until 1896-97.

Only one course, 25, has been dropped.

The course in American Archaeology and Ethnology, as well as the courses in Anatomy, Physiology, and Physical Training will be the same as last year.

Copies of the elective pamphlet may be had upon application to the Publication Agent.