The University Crew.

Last fall when the candidates for the university crew met for the first time in Capt. Storrow's room, the outlook was not very encouraging. There were present only two men of last year's crew, while the most available men among the others were rather light in weight, and had but one year's experience in rowing. This year's crew, it was felt, would not be remarkable either for its size or strength. If anything was to be accomplished, it must be done by superior skill and activity. This fact was appreciated by Captain Storrow and his crew, and in consequence a more careful study of the principles of rowing has been made by the individual men than ever before. Every possible attention is paid to watermanship, especially to an effective and graceful method of handling the oars, although the body swing is by no means neglected. As a result of this careful and intelligent work, our crew is rowing in good form, and at an exceedingly fast rate for this season of the year. The class crews are all distanced by it with ease, although they have the advantage of lighter barges. Mr. C. P. Curtis has acted as coach, and during the past week Mr. G. Agassiz, '84, has several times been out with the crew. Since last fall, when two eights were in training, the less desirable men have been transferred to the class crews, until the number remaining has been reduced to the following eight:

POSITION NAME. WEIGHT.

Bow, J. J. Storrow, '85, 159

2, J. J. Colony, '85, 166

3, H. W. Keyes, '87, 171

4, J. S. Russell, '87, 154

5, J. R. Yocum, '85, 178

6, W. A. Brooks, '87, 169

7, T. P. Burgess, '87, 188

Stroke, G, S. Mumford, '87, 156

Coxswain. T. Browne, '88, 98

Average weight, 167 3-8

Penrose, '84, now taking a post graduate course, has again begun rowing, and will probably take the place of number two or six.

To the experienced eye, some changes in the details of the stroke will be noticeable. The light dip which allowed a hard catch on the beginning will give way to a full dip which requires a constant pressure throughout the stroke. Particular care will be taken to obtain a hard and complete finish, which will at the same time allow an easier and gentler shoot. As the crew is a light one, the stroke rowed will probably be faster than heretofore. The body movements within the boat, with one or two exceptions, are generally very good. In fact, there is a precision and evenness of movement, which is the result of careful training in the gymnasium. The crew is now being coached on the dip, finish and feather. A considerable part of the stroke is lost at both ends, by clipping and an imperfect finish. The individual faults are as follows: bow settles at the finish; two hangs at the finish, and is thus obliged to rush down on the recover, his swing is inaccurate; three occasionally swings forward too far, and gets into a position for the catch; four meets, which weakens his finish and makes his shoot violent; six meets and settles at the finish; seven hurries the recover; stroke hangs and swings back too far.