A Visit to Harvard.

WRITTEN BY A YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED W. F. SEMINARY DAMSEL.

One pleasant day, during the Easter vacation, N-and I started for the classic walls of Harvard, that ancient seat of learning, where, according to anxious parents, "the dear boys" work so hard delving in the rich mines of intellectual ore there found, and taking their recreation only in a "feast of reason and a flow of soul;" but where we had decided, after due reflection, they were, in reality having a very good time, paying small regard to such trivialities as lectures or recitations and indulging in recreations far more substantial.

We arrived safely at Grays Hall, our destination, and after mounting inter-minable flights of stairs reached the room we sought, that of a gay and festive young sophomore, who gave us a most cordial welcome and who did every thing in his power, with utmost success, to make our visit agreeable.

I looked about me with that degree of interest a bachelor apartment always excites. This one was large and pleasant; its business-like desk and well filled book case gave it a most studious air, tasteful little knick-knacks were scattered about, while two mirrors disposed of in conspicuous positions gave more evidence to my theory that men, espcially young men, are no more proof against vanity than women. The large cushioned window seat immediately attracted our attention, and thence we had a fine view of the campus and surrounding halls while we chatted.

After some time spent pleasantly in this way our host proposed a tour of the grounds and buildings, to which we gladly consented.

We first bent our steps toward the gymnasium, and on entering found it well filled with students, some exercising and some looking on. Several were quite expert, and we saw some difficult feats of strength and agility. Growing tired we betook ourselves to a seat, and scanned anxiously the various gentlemen about us.

On my right stood a young man of the unquestionable dude stamp, whose sole energy seemed to be concentrated in masticating the head of his cane, or regarding with languid anxiety the lily in his button-hole, while he occasionally gave vent to ejaculations of "by Jove," "deuced clever that." Our companion informed us that he was a Beck Hall man, and, if he lived, would probably graduate in the class of nineteen hundred and eighty.

Next to this interesting specimen stood a young man who was informing him that "he had just returned from a capital little spread at Smith's you know, awful jolly set of fellows, capital time," etc. This convivial youth, we were told, was a Divinity Hall theolog, which fact, taken in connection with his subsequent behavior, we found a little difficult to believe.

Next, a gentleman with a mild and inquiring cast of countenance, and an evident thirst for information attracted our attention. He was examining part of the apparatus and we were told was a junior of that kind commonly known in college parlance as a "dig," by which is meant one who never cuts chapel, lectures, or recitations, who has never received a summons, and to whom there is no unholy pleasure in "painting the town red," or "paralyzing the faculty." We were told to regard him carefully for the species is nearly extinct, and will soon die out.

Leaning nonchalantly against the railing was a conscious figure immediately recognized as a potent, grave and reverend senior. Every thing, from his flossy silk hat to his boots said senior, while his manner of twirling his mustache and regarding all beholders was so superior and impressive that we trembled while we gazed.

After leaving this study of human nature, we visited the New Law School, Memorial Hall, the beautiful dining place of the students, where, alas, it is said, the cookery is much inferior to the surroundings, and lastly the Agassiz Museum, where we saw a most interesting accumulation of zoological and ornithological remains, intensely diverting if one understands them, only the mammoth, a favorite of a previous visit was not forthcoming, and we were gravely informed that it had probably been cooked up into Memorial Hall soup, while the immense fossil bird, we were told, had been served there on toast a few days before, as Kansas Prarie Chicken. Let all due allowance be made for the last two statements, as well as for the information vouchsafed by our unblushing guide that the case of grinning skeletons were ex-Harvard presidents.

It was growing dark when we had completely mastered the last astounding bit of information, and we started at once for the cars, there we parted from our courteous escorts after many expressions of pleasure on both sides for our pleasant visit.