The Yale Electives.

Within a year the Yale faculty has reorganized its system of Electives, and on a plan much resembling the revision adopted here. In their junior year about half the studies are required, while at Princeton two-thirds are required. Among the junior studies common to both colleges are Logic and Physics, and also Psychology. In Yale, however, Logic comes before Psychology. In senior year there are but three hours a week of required work and twelve of elective, or only one fifth of the work required. Here, however, the proportion is nearly one-half required and a little over one-half elective. The only senior required course in Yale is that of President Porter in Psychology, followed by Ethics. Political Economy is not required. In the Yale News of March 13th, there is a full set of statistics showing how their electives work.

The largest elective classes in senior year are Prof. Phelps' course in Municipal Law, with 94 members, his course in International Law, with 88, Prof. Summer's Political Economy, with 106, Prof. Wheeler's Constitutional History of England, with 76. Senior German has 60. In the Latin electives, five in number, there were only three seniors in the winter term this year, and only ten seniors in all the Greek electives. In fact both senior and junior Greek electives there only enroll 33 men, about half of what Prof. Winans' junior Greek enrolls here. So senior and junior Latin has only 29 men, considerably less than either our senior or junior Latin.

The Yale Anglo-Saxon elective is frequented by one senior and one junior, but the Italian elective has one senior and two juniors, while Spanish has 18 men. In spite of Prof. Whitney's very great eminence in Sanskrit, only one student takes it.

But the Modern Language electives are large, junior German for example having 96 men, and junior French 76 men. The scientific electives are comparatively small, the largest being Botany, with 33 juniors, and the smallest Dr. J. D. Dana's elective in Geology with 2 seniors. Take this with Prof. Whitney's Sanskrit elective of 1 student, and the fact that some of the greatest professors often have the smallest electives becomes very visible. In the Mathematical electives there are only 17 students in all. The whole senior class has 121 members and the juniors 144.-Princetonian.