SEVEN STRAIGHT.

PRINCETON, 4; HARVARD, 13.

The prospect of a pleasant afternoon brought out an assembly of over 2,000 spectators, of whom fully 1,500 were within the grounds, to witness the final Princeton-Harvard championship game. Fully 300 of the spectators were ladies, while on the seats in the rear of the backstop sat Sutton and several other players of the Bostons. Princeton was obliged to put Edwards in the pitcher's box, while Taylor, the freshman catcher, played behind the plate. Bickham, who is suffering from a lame arm, was present as a substitute, and was called into the field in the last half of the fifth inning, owing to an injury received by Blossom.

THE GAME.At 4 o'clock promptly the game opened with Harvard at the bat. Beaman flied out to Van Ausdal; Tilden fouled out to Blossom; Nichols was sent to first on balls; and went to third on a hit by Willard; in attempting to cut Nichols off at third Van Ausdal overthrew, allowing Nichols to score, and Willard to reach third; Allen hit safely, but was left on first, after Willard had scored, by Smith's striking out. Van Ausdal opened the game for Princeton by flying out to Tilden; Edwards hit to Edgerly, but through poor coaching Beaman attempted to get the ball, a collision resulting; Shaw hit safely, sending Edwards to third, and got second on an attempted put-out; both were left on base, however, as the next two men went out, leaving the score 2 to 0 for Harvard.

In the second inning Foster went to first on balls; Edgerly flied out; Winslow hit for two bases, sending Foster to third, where he was held by a neat trick of Blossom's; Beaman hit to short, and reached first on the attempt to put Foster out at the plate; Winslow scored on Cooper's error, and Tilden, after getting his first on an attempted put out, followed Beaman over the plate, assisted by an error of Taylor, and a second attempted putout; Nichols struck out, and Willard, after going to first on balls, was forced out at second by Allen. For Princeton, Reynolds was sent to first on balls, but the next three men went out in order. Score, 6 to 0 for Harvard. Smith and Foster fouled out, at the beginning of the third, and Edgerly hit a grounder to Edwards, who ran with the ball to first, cutting him off. Princeton went out in order, leaving the score unaltered. This inning was marked by a beautiful one-hand running catch, followed by a perfect throw, by Edgerly. Harvard went out in order in the fourth, Winslow and Beaman on strikes, and Tilden on a fly to Toler. For Princeton, Toler reached first on an error by Edgerly, and went around to third on a put-out and a wild pitch, only to be left there by the successive retirement of the next three men at bat.

The fifth opened well for Harvard. Nichols hit for two bases just inside the left field foul line, and came home on Willard's two bagger; Willard came home from second on Blossom's error; Smith bad got his base on balls, and stolen second when the game was

INTERRUPTED BY RAINWhich drove players and spectators to shelter for a space of ten minutes; after play was called Smith stole third, but was caught napping, closing the inning for Harvard, as Allen had fouled out, and Foster had been retired on strikes. Clark opened up for Princeton with a hit, but Taylor and Van Ausdal struck out, and Edwards went out, Nichols to Willard. Score, 8 to 0 against the visitors.

When the Princeton nine took the field for the sixth inning, several changes were noticeable. Blossom, whose hand had been badly spiked by Smith, retired from the field, and Shaw took his place at third, while Bickham went to centre field. Edgerly opened for Harvard by fouling out; Winslow hit to Edwards and was fielded out at first; Beaman hit safely and came in on Tilden's hit and two passed balls; Tilden was put out at the home plate. Princeton drew her sixth blank: Shaw struck a swift foul, which Allen caught in beautiful form, though he tripped and fell in the act; Toler went out, Nichols to Willard; Bickham made a clean two-bagger, but was left on second, as Reynolds hit to Nichols and was fielded out at first. Score, 9 to 0 against Princeton.

Hard luck kept Harvard from scoring in the seventh. Nichols hit safely, and was sent to second by Willard's single; Allen hit to Shaw, who touched third and threw to Toler, making a double play; Smith got his base on balls, but Foster went out, Cooper to Toler, closing the inning with two men on bases. Princeton scored two runs in this inning. Cooper got his base on balls, and came in on Clark's drive for three bases; Clark scored on the error by Edgerly which allowed Taylor to reach first; Van Ausdal struck out; Taylor was thrown out at second by Allen, and Edwards fouled out. Score, 9 to 2 for Harvard.

Harvard failed to score in the eighth. Edgerly flied out to Shaw; Winslow made a strong hit, but was left on first, for Beaman went out on a long fly to Bickham, and Tilden flied out to Van Ausdal. Princeton went out in order.

Nichols opened the final inning by going to first on balls; Willard hit safely and stole second. Allen made a hit, sending in Nichols and Willard, and went to second and third on passed balls; Smith made a clean hit, bringing in Allen, but was himself caught napping at first by Cooper; Foster went to first on an error, and came home by the aid of errors and a successful steal; Edgerly went to first on an attempted put out, but was thrown out at second; Winslow struck out. Princeton scored two runs in the last half of the inning on a couple of singles, a put-out, Edgerly's error, and an attempted putout. The game closed with the score 13 to 4 against the visitors.

The game was very interesting throughout, and would have been remarkaly free from errors had it not been for the rain. The battery work of Harvard was magnificent, Nichols only having one wild pitch, while Allen was not credited with a single passed balls. Willard's batting was terrific, while his fielding was perfect. The main points of crificism against the home team were the careless base running, and lax coaching. For Princeton, Clark led at the bat, and Toler and Shaw excelled in fielding. The features of the game were the stop and throw by Edgerly in the third, Allen's foul catch in the sixth, Willard's batting, and the double play by Shaw and Toler.

The score:

HARVARD.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Beaman, 3b., 5 2 1 1 0 0 2

Tilden, l. f., 5 1 1 1 1 0 0

Nichols, p., 3 3 2 3 1 15 3

Willard, 1b., 4 3 4 5 10 0 0

Allen, c., 5 1 2 2 12 2 0

Smith, 2b., 3 0 1 1 2 1 2

Foster, c. f., 4 2 0 0 1 0 0

Edgerly, s. s., 5 0 0 0 0 2 3

Winslow, r. f., 5 1 2 3 0 0 0

Totals. 39 13 13 16 27 20 10

PRINCETON.A.B R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Van Ausdale, r. f. 5 0 0 0 2 1 1

Edwards, p., 4 0 0 0 3 7 6

Shaw, c. f. and 3b., 4 0 1 1 2 1 0

Toler, 1b., 4 0 0 0 4 0 0

Blossom. 3b., 2 0 0 0 3 0 1

Reynolds, 2b., 3 1 1 1 3 1 1

Cooper, s. s., 3 2 1 1 0 2 1

Clark, l. f., 4 1 2 4 1 0 1

Taylor, c., 4 0 0 0 8 2 6

Bockham, c. f., 2 0 1 2 1 0 0

Totals, 35 4 6 9 27 14 16

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 2 4 0 0 2 1 0 0 4-13

Princeton, 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2-4

Earned runs, Harvard, 2. Three-base hit, Clark. Two-base hit, Bickham, Willard, Nichols, Winslow. Struck out, by Nichols, 10; Edwards, 6. First base on balls, by Nichols, 2; Edwards, 6. Wild pitches, Edwards, 1; Nichols, 1. Passed balls, Taylor, 5. Umpire, A. L. Grant. Time, 2h, 40m.