False and True Impressions of Harvard.

People outside of our sacred precincts form judgments about our college and her work in the same way as the seven blind men received their impressions of that object of interest to them, the elephant.

The story of how these men felt the animal over and how each one thereby judged it, all the judgments differing, is familiar to all.

In a similar manner, outsiders have very many conflicting and curious views in regard to Harvard College; and these ideas in many cases are based on just such a superficial knowledge of the reality as had the seven blind men of the elephant.

Some people will read a popular book, such as "The Student Life at Harvard," and then imagine that all young men here follow the course of its hero. Others will read the life of some famous graduate, and from this will be led to believe that all students, in their thirst for knowledge, overwork themselves, and pass through such a course of discipline and self denial.

Then again, many talk of the influence of Harvard College, as being so different from those of any large gathering of young men. Some parents regard the very name of Harvard as possessing some magical power which will allow one under its influence to enter some charmed circle, as it were, where all is lovely and everything is in his power. Others think our college is the very hot-bed of extravagance and ruinous habits, and that it is impossible for anyone now-a days to pass four years within its classic walls without being misguided.

There is also the opinion, which many well-meaning people have, that this college is a kind of athletic training school, a grand place for one to learn how to row or play base-ball.

Thus we find all kinds of feeling toward Harvard and her work, from adoration and respect to toleration and ridicule.

But now how are the facts?

There are at Harvard about 1600 men; it is a small world in itself; made up, as the outside world is, of the good, bad and indifferent; of those who have high, noble principles, and who are here to work earnestly, and of those who are here without an object, unless to have a good time.

And thus as there are such different classes of men here, they must graduate with their work well done or poorly, with good or bad habits formed, as the case may be.

Harvard College is not a dye tank into which the youth of the country are plunged and then emerge all of one color. No; the influence a college course will have on a young man depends, in a great measure, on the man himself.

One must sometimes place himself under outside influences of some kind, and there are just as good influences to choose from at Harvard as in any other place of busy life.

In the after life of a young man, who comes here with noble principles, with active habits and true purposes, the four years will show their influence in a more perfected manhood, and in broader and sounder views of living. But on the other hand, if a young man is indolent and indifferent in his college duties, his course will seem to have been of slight advantage, and, indeed, of positive detriment to him as preparatory for active life.