Chapel.

A PLEA FOR UNIVERSITY METHODS.

With the inauguration of of the voluntary system of prayers, grave doubts arose as to the efficacy of the system when put in practice. Many of these doubts have been shown to be unfounded as time shows no diminution in the number of those who attend Chapel Service. Every man now feels it to be his duty to the University and to himself to avail himself of those advantages which at his own request have been placed before him for his choice or refusal. But Harvard is no longer a college. Why then should the spirit of a college still cling to her? Why should only the members of the college proper be called upon to attend Chapel. Every member of the University, irrespective of his school and of his residence, ought to feel at perfect liberty to attend Chapel and join in a worship which Dr. Hale declares, for form as observed in Appleton Chapel, has not its superior upon the face of the earth. Every member of the University should feel called upon to see to it that the methods of his Alma Mater shall prove successful. This appeal, however, is directed more particularly to the members of the Law School. They, many of them at least, live among us and enjoy all the privileges which are open to the members of the college, the only reason why they do not attend Chapel is without question because the custom has never been instituted. But now that the petty restrictions of compulsory attendance at Appleton Chapel have been rescinded, now that Appleton Chapel, no longer the scene of a school exercise, has become a University house of worship, now that every man in the University is as much interested that the Chapel service shall prove successful as any member of the college, there is no question as to the proper course for the students to pursue. It is strange that this question has not been agitated before. But it is never too late to begin any agitation if good may result. The plea is not wholly utilitarian. There is no doubt but that an increased attendance would increase the significance and interest of the services while it would render the work of the preacher in charge doubly renumerative and fourfold more pleasant. It is not a question of material change of habit. Many of the law students could just as well (so far as their duties are concerned), attend chapel as the students of the college. They ought to feel as men above being urged to a duty so eminently manly and so unaccordance with the true University spirit. But if such encouragement can offer any inducement it need only be said more than one of the gentlemen who have offered their services as preachers in charge are interested in seeing the plan adopted. Nothing more than this mere suggestion ought to be necessary to assure the success of the plan.