The Yale-Princeton Game.

PRINCETON PASSES RESOLUTIONS.

Princeton won the toss and took the west end of the field. At precisely 2.30 o'clock play was called, and, quickly dribbling the ball, Adams of Princeton attempted to run with it. He was neatly tackled by Peters, who gained the ball, and by shrewd handling worked it well toward Princeton's 25-yard line. Here it was forced over the line, and Referee Camp announced a touch in goal. It was immediately kicked out by Princeton, but only to fall into the hands of quarter-back Beecher of the Yale team, who made a strong run with it toward the Princeton goal line, but was tackled powerfully. Fnally, R. Hodge of Princeton sent it down the field beyond the reach of Yale's full-back. Had not Lamar slipped in his attempt to seize it, a touch-down for Princeton would have been inevitable. But slip he did, and the ball went gracefully up the field under charge of Capt. Peters, who managed to force it over Princeton's goal line. But, as one of Yale's team was unfortunately off side, the claim of touch-down was dissallowed and only a touch in goal granted. When the ball was kicked out, Lamar attempted to work it toward a safer part of the field, but was prevented by Corwin, who tumbled him rudely to the ground. Lamar hung on to the ball, however, and when Adams had snapped it back Watkinson caught it, but failed to gain much ground, as did Beecher, who soon after made a similar fair catch. Beecher, however, soon afterward secured the ball, and was just slipping by Princeton's rush line when Decamp upset him. His efforts, however, resulted in another touch in goal for Princeton, and in the kick-out which followed Beecher got the ball. When it was snapped back he passed it to Watkinson, who made a remarkably neat goal from the field his position being far to one side of the goal posts. Having thus scored the first point in the game, Yale's players were manifestly encouraged, and were doing good work after the new kick-off, when "time" was called, and the first half was at an end. Score, Yale, 5; Princeton, 0.

Considerable more than the usual 10 minutes' intermission elapsed before the second inning, owing to the reluctance of the spectators to leave the field, but at 2.31 time was called, and Yale's captain touched the ball instead of kicking, and attempted to use his 190 pounds against the Princeton rush line. Numbers conquered, however, and it was only by short and unimportant runs that Yale at last put the ball within Princeton's 25-yard line. Here it stayed without any important change of position until a long punt by B. Hodge and a fumble by Beecher resulted in a Princeton man touching the Yale goal line with his feet as he lay upon the ground embracing the ball. For 15 minutes the contest waxed warm at this point, but Yale stood firm and played in such steady form that no touch-down was scored against her. At last, much to the relief of Yale supporters, Beecher's little frame was seen to worm his way through the Princeton rush line, and carry the ball to the middle of the field. It was thence slowly worked to Princeton's goal and Yale backers were beginning to breathe freely as the end of the game drew rapidly near and no points were scored to Princeton's credit. But, to the amazement of the entire assembly of spectators, as Toler missed a long punt from Watkinson, Lamar, who was close behind him and near Princeton's 40-yard line, sprang into the air, caught the ball and darted straight at the Yale rush line. The Yale players seemed completely stupefied, and though making feeble attempts to stop him, were too closely bunched to offer an effectual barrier, and with the entire Yale team at his back, Lamar run between the Yale goal posts and made a touch-down.

Completely crazed at the sight of so unexpected a piece of good luck, the Princeton supporters burst into the field and interrupted the progress of the game by their frantic jubilation. When the field was cleared, R. Hodge readily kicked a goal. Yale men appeared completely dazed at this reverse of fortune, and though Beecher made a beautiful run when the ball was again kicked off, there was little appreciation of it among the mournful spectators. After some unimportant play, Referee Camp mercilessly called "time," and Yale was defeated for the second time since the formation of the inter-collegiate league. Score, Princeton, 6; Yale, 5.

The teams were: Yale - Rushers, Wallace, Carter, Lux, Peters, Woodruff, Hamlin and Corwin; quarter-back, Beecher; half-backs, Watkinson and Bull; full-back, Burke. Princeton - Rushers, H. Hodge, Irvine, Cowan, Decamp, Cook and Harris; quarterback, R. Hodge, half backs, Toler and Lamar; full-back, Savage.