President's Reception.

President Eliot received the invited guests of the university in University 4, last evening, from 5 to 6 o'clock. He was assisted by the professors in the college and by the overseers. The rooms of the office were brilliantly lighted, while the long committee room was also lighted and used as the reception room. On account of the inclemency of the weather, only about thirty guests were present. On this account, a second reception will be given at the President's house on Monday evening. The faculties of the university will assist with a simultaneous reception in Hemenway gymnasium, at the same hour on Monday evening. Among those present yesterday afternoon were President Gilman of John S. Hopkins Prof. Fisher of Yale, Canon Creighton of Cambridge, England, and Prof. Parker also of Cambridge.

An incident of the reception, of unusual interest, was the presentation by Prof. Parker in the name of Cambridge University, England, of greetings, engrossed on parchment, to President Eliot in the name of Harvard. This document is inscribed in Latin, with Greek quotations, and expresses the best wishes of old Cambridge University to the new, and the hope that the strong ties which binds the two counties may be made the stronger by such occasions as these. Accompanying the parchment, the seal of the English university enclosed in an engraved solid silver casket was presented.

Canon Creighton also presented letters of greeting to Harvard from Emmanuel College, Cambridge, the college from which John Harvard received his degrees.