AN ENGLISH CLUB.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON: - Some weeks ago there appeared in the anniversary number of the Advocate a criticism upon the courses offered by the English department. In the main the writer merely points out what is lacking in the present series of courses but makes no attempt to suggest a remedy, knowing presumably, as all know, who have given the matter any attention, that it is only want of funds which prevents many improvements in this, as well as in other departments of the University.

Meanwhile we have seen the organization of a society for the purpose (in part at least) of making some study of French literature. We have too, more or less active societies devoted to History, Philosophy, Political Economy and the classics. Why then might not something of the kind be possible in connection with the English department? If it is worth while to discuss Hamlet in French, why not in English? Why should not some of the energy and time expended in the study of foreign literature be devoted to our own? Is not English literature worthy of the methods we use with other literature? None offers better material and more interesting questions for examinations and discussions. Every student of the literature would contribute something to such an organization besides drawing new encouragement from it.

We want no society of philologists or of literary antiquarians; but, with the growing interest in English literature, inside and outside of the college, with the men we have whose knowledge of it is broad and accurate, with the advantages such a society would bring, one cannot but think that an organization devoted to English literature would supply a want which at some time or other many men have felt. Is it not worth while to attempt something however small.

* *