A Frenchman's Idea of Harvard.

We would like to call attention to a recent article in a French educational journal on "Universities and Colleges of higher education in the United States," in which much attention and praise is bestowed upon our glorious institution. In the issue of October 15th of the Revue Internationale de L'Enseignment, Mon. B. Buisson, a well known educational writer in France, and a commissioner from the French government to the exposition at New Orleans in 1884, writes one of a series of articles on our educational institutions ten pages, of which are devoted to a flattering description and very high praise of Harvard. We cannot, on account of its length, quote the article, although it would be interesting to Harvard students to see themselves as a foreigner sees them. M. Buisson describes the buildings and grounds, the courses and the general life here. He then goes into a very exhaustive study of our system of athletic training, and describes our gymnasium and athletic fields. He also quotes very largely from Dr. Sargent's statements and theories in regard to athletic training. This part of our college life would be bound to attract a Frenchman, and is of great importance as a lesson to the French who have almost no athletics as a nation. Their young men have only fencing, riding, and a little rowing for mere exercise even. Class day is very cleverly described in the article by an abstract from a previous article by Mdlle. Ladregt on the subject. The article in the Revue ends with a comment upon our freedom in studies and now recent freedom in regard to religious teachings. Altogether it is a very comprehensive and unbiassed statement, and will be found to be very suggestive reading.