Dr. Smyth's Address.

The chapel pulpit was occupied last evening by Dr. Newman Smyth, D. D., of New Haven. He chose his text from John 8:44; "He stood not in the light because there was no light in him." The truth of these words goes straight to the moral core of things; it brings into light a vital aspect of life which we are apt to overlook. Our universe is a truthful, a moral, a Christian universe, and no one can stand in it who is not at least honest, and virtuous, and Christlike. No man can stand in the truth who says there is no God. If he wants proofs of God's existence let him not seek them in theology; let him rather read the book of his own life. If ever in following his own desires he has done a just, a kindly act, he can find in that, evidence of God; for justice and charity are divine attributes. In society, politics, science, poetry, we see the same truth made manifest, - if the heart be not right, if the life be not pure, each in the end will cast us out. When the world be so purified we shall have reached the perfect state. "I saw a new Heaven and a new earth; for the first earth hath passed away."