Forensics, 1885-86.

SUPPLEMENTARY LIST OF APPROVED TOPICS.

ORIENTAL LANGUAGES. 1. Was Mohammed at all an impostor? 2. Are the germs of the doctrine of the transmigation of Souls to be found in the Rig Veda? 3. Traces of Babylonia Assyrian influence on Greek culture.

CLASSICAL LANGUAGES. 1. Discuss the plan of the battle of Salamis and the movement of the Persians that preceded it. 2. Why does Aeschylus make Argos, not Mycenae, the home of Agamemnon? 3. Discuss the effect of appeals to sympathy and gratitude upon impartial justice at Athens.

ENGLISH. 1. A critical estimate of Lord Macaulay's writings. 2. The relation of Wordsworth's poems to his life. 3. The Fantastic Element in Hawthorne's characters and plots. 4. What is the Function of Literature in Modern Life?

MODERN FOREIGN LANGUAGES. 1. The origin of the Medieval French Epic. 2. Is Goethe's Egmont a better work, regarded as a drama, then Lessing's Emilia Galotti? 3. Ought a well established phonetic law to be regarded as admitting no real exceptions? 4. Is it possible to determine with some certainty Old French pronunciation? And if so, was it essentially different from the modern pronunciation? 5. Is the influence of Goethe's Faust for good or for evil? 6. A study of Lessings influence upon German Literature.

PHILOSOPHY. (Including Ethics and Aesthetics). 1. A criticism of Shaftesbury's Theory of Ethics. (See Shaftesbury's "Inquiry concerning Virtue.") 2. The Philosophy and Limitations of Painting. 3. The use of the pointed Arch in Gothic architecture. Was the pointed arch an importation from the East, or a result of the constructive exigencies of vaulting? 4. A comparison of Titian and Rembrandt as colorists. 5. The employment of figure sculpture as an adjunct to architecture in Italy and France respectively. 6. Has Psychology profited to any appreciable extent by the discoveries made in the anatomy and physiology of the brain and the rest of the nervous system? 7. Discuss the two propositions: (a) "Had the ancients been serious in their belief, we should not have had their Gods exhibited in the manner we find them represented in the poets;" (b) "To deal with Greek religion honestly you must at once understand that this literal was in the mind of the general people as deeply rooted as ours in the legends of our own sacred book." 8. Why do the fine arts afford the best measure of civilization? 9. How far is technical skill a test of the excellence of a work of art? 10. The influence of Sebastian Bach on instrumental music. 11. The scope of descriptive or "programme" music.

POLITICAL ECONOMY. 1. Is Protection or Free Trade the wiser policy for the United States? 2. The Bland silver bill; its advisability and its effects.

HISTORY. The consolidation of Italy. 2. The constitutionality of National Banks. 3. The Hungarian movement for self government. 4. The Consolidation of the government during the first few years after the adoption of the constitution. 5. The public land policy with special reference to the pre-emption law. 6. The validity of the Clayton-Bulwer treaty. 7. Have the principles of the Monroe doctrine been adhered to in the policies of the various administrations, and has the doctrine been misinterpreted by popular opinion? 8. The connection of the church with slavery? 9. Should the United States exercise a controlling influence over any inter oceanic canal? 10. The policy of the United States toward the Indians. 11. The effect on France of the wars of Louis XIV. 12. Discuss the jurisdiction and procedure of the Court of Star Chamber. 13. Discuss the history and jurisdiction of the Court of High Commission. 14. Discuss parliamentary procedure in the 17th Century. 15. Was there sufficient reason for the execution of Earl Stafford? 16. The character of Lord Bacon as a man and as a judge. 17. Is society an organism, and can we reason from the development of the individual to that of the body politic? 18. Are the Romans to be commended or condemned for their policy toward the Greeks? 19. Should the Roman Empire be regarded as having, on the whole, obstructed or furthered the development of nationalities? 20. Was Adams right in sending an ambassador to France in 1798? 21. Ought the United States to have gone to war in 1812? 22. Did Clay make a corrupt bargain with Adams in 1824-25? 23. Was the compromise of 1850 necessary for the salvation of the Union? 24. Has the House of Representatives the full power intended by the Constitution over revenue bills? 25. Is the existence of parties necessary to good government? 26. Was it right for the voters of Middlesex to stand by Wilkes?

PHYSICS AND MATHEMATICS. 1. The early History of Infinitesimal Calculus. 2. Discuss Clifford's Philosophy of the Pure Sciences. 3. Should men who bring no Mathematics be accepted for honors in Physics? 4. To what extent do Newton's Laws of Motions involve assumptions that can be tested by experiment, and to what extent are they matters of definition?

NATURAL HISTORY. 1. The Mound-builders. 2. Theories of glacial motion. 3. The Lake Dwellers. 4. Is Natural selection the sole cause of Evolution? 5. The Colors of Autumn Leaves. 6. The tension of vegetable tissues. 7. The effects of light on Plants. 8. Can disease-germs be distroyed by the so-called disinfectants?

MISCELLANEOUS. 1. Are purely technical studies consistent with the general purpose of a university course?