Columbia School of Political Science.

Of the few schools of political science in this country, the one at Columbia is probably the most famous. It was started in October, 1884, to prepare young men for public life. Its scope is best set forth in the following words from its circular:

"The purpose of the school is to give a complete general view of all the subjects, both of internal and external public polity, from the threefold stand point of history, law and philosophy. Its prime aim is therefore the development of all the branches of the political sciences. Its secondary and practical objects are:

a. To fit young men for all the political branches of the public service.

b. To give an adequate economic and legal training to those who intend to make journalism their profession.

c. To supplement, by courses in public law and comparative jurisprudence, the instruction in private municipal law offered by the School of Law."

It offers a course of three year's study, consisting of fifteen hours a week the first year, ten hours the second year, and twelve the third. Its courses in a general way cover those given here in history, political economy and Roman law, besides some of the more general law school courses. In addition, instruction is offered in physical and political geography, ethnography, philosophy; history of political theories from Plato to Hegel, bibliography of the political sciences, political history of the state of New York, modern Roman law, comparative constitutional law of the several commonwealths of the American Union, Latin-American diplomacy, international private law, comparative administrative law of the principal states of Europe and of the United States, and comparative administrative law of the several commonwealths of the American Union.

The following conditions must be fulfilled to obtain degrees:

"The degree of bachelor of philosophy will be conferred at the close of the first year upon all such students of the school as shall have successfully completed the studies of the year.

Upon all who shall have successfully completed the studies of the entire course of three years, will be conferred the degree of doctor of philosophy.

To obtain recommendation for the latter degree, the candidate will be required:

1. To prepare an original dissertation not less than 20,000 words in length, upon a subject approved by the faculty.

2. To defend such dissertation before the faculty.

3. To pass an oral examination upon all the studies of the three years.

4. To pass collateral examinations (reading at sight) upon Latin, and either French or German."

Members of this school are allowed to take courses in the college and the law school without paying an extra fee.

It can be seen that while Harvard offers most of the courses given in this school of political science, she does it with a different aim, to give a general scholastic training. But it seems as if Harvard could, without much difficulty, make out a system of instruction by selecting and arranging courses from the college and the Law School which should cover the work done in a school like that at Columbia.