College Y. M. C. A.

ANNUAL CONFERENCE AT BROWN.

The fourth annual meeting of the Young Men's Christian Association of the New England colleges was held at Brown University last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Twenty colleges and academies were represented by about one hundred and thirty delegates. Some twenty-five men were present from Harvard.

After an address of welcome by the president of the Brown Association, President Robinson spoke of the responsibility which rests upon a member of a Christian organization. He was followed by Mr. L. D. Wishard, the inter-collegiate college secretary of the Y. M. C. A. who spoke of the intercollegiate Y. M. C. A. movement. Saturday forenoon was given to papers by various delegates, followed by discussions on the reception of new students, the advantages of an association room, the prayer meeting, the Bible training class, and the missionary meeting. The Rev. A. J. Gordon, D. D., of Boston, gave an address on the use of the Bible in Christian work. Mr. W. C. Douglass, secretary of the Massachusetts and Rhode Island Associations, spoke of the relation of the college Y. M. C. A. graduate to his home association. Rev. Richard Montague, of Providence, spoke in the evening. His topic was, "Christ the Completer of a True Manhood."

After a short meeting among the students Sunday morning, the delegates attended services at the city churches. In the afternoon Prof. Lincoln, of Brown, gave an address on Christian consecration. The closing exercises were held in the First Baptist Church. Mr. Wishard spoke of the world-wide extent of this Christian work for young men. Reports were then given by delegates of the religious life in their respective colleges. The pastor of the church made a few remarks about the claims of the ministry as a profession. At the close of this meeting the delegates held farewell exercises in the vestry. The whole meeting was marked by earnestness and enthusiasm.