The Grand Fiasco.

THE TRIP TO NEW HAVEN AND AMHERST.

The following account of the disappointing trip of the nine and its enthusiastic supporters to New Haven and Amherst may be of interest to our readers:

The nine left Boston by the 4.30 train on Friday afternoon via the B. & A., and arrived in New Haven in the midst of a drizzling rain. They then went directly to the New Haven House, where they spent the night. On Saturday the morning was rainy, and as there were no signs of clearing, it was decided at twelve o'clock that there would be no game. So at 3.12 p.m. the nine and half a dozen supporters took up the line of march for Springfield, where they spent Saturday night and Sunday at the Massasoit House. Saturday evening the enthusiastic travellers went to the theatre and helped to fill the small house. The performance, "May Blossom." was the source of much "innocent merriment," and the renowned artiste, Miss Georgia Cayvan in title role, gained much applause.

Sunday dawned bright and clear. In the morning the Cambridge delegation indulged in walking, and in the afternoon took drives through the surrounding country.

Monday morning was pleasant, and the nine left Springfield at 9.10 o'clock for Northampton. Here they were joined by more Harvard men, who swelled the number of supporters to fifteen. From Northampton, all drove to Amherst in carriages. After reaching their destination the throng of supporters amused themselves with viewing the sights of the town until lunch was served at twelve o'clock. Then the clouds began to come up, and at the time game was called, at two o'clock, the weather was very threatening. Amherst went first to the bat, and scored three runs in the first inning. After this no further run was scored by the opposing nine. Harvard scored twice in the first and once in the second, and again in the third. In the 4th with four hits and several errors, Harvard scored seven times. The rain which had begun to fall in the first inning, now increased, but it was hoped to finish the fifth inning, so that it might count for a game. To no purpose, however, for the umpire called time in the fifth inning with Amherst at the bat and two men out. Thus the score, which of course will not stand, was, Harvard, 11; Amherst, 3. Had it been possible to play but ten minutes more, the game would have been scored. As it was, the Amherst men were glad to delay the otherwise unavoidable de feat. The Harvard men then left Amherst for Northampton, and thence took the train to Springfield. Here they had supper and took the 8 p.m. train for Boston, arriving at 10.30 p.m.

Thus ended one of the most disappointing trips that the Harvard nine has ever taken, since they were compelled to give up two championship games on account of rain.