Lawn Tennis at Longwood.

Sears, the amateur champion of the world, defeated Pettitt, the professional champion of the world, at Longwood yesterday afternoon, by a score of 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5. The afternoon was perfect, although cool, and both men seemed to be in good trim. The exhibition was fully up to the high expectations of the spectators. Play after play of wonderful dexterity followed in quick succession, drawing out rounds of applause. The playing was not so close as most of these championship games have been, the score in the vantage set at the last not running higher than seven.

Sears won four games in the first set to Pettitt's one; the latter then picked up and won the set. At the end of the second, Pettitt went to pieces. The third and fourth sets were the most interesting; both men had warmed up to work by this time. Some beautiful blocks were made on both sides. Pettitt showed himself particularly strong at the net. His difficult returns from the back line were very pretty, and well deserved the applause they won. Sears' playing was steady throughout, and he scored many points by his admirable driving along the side lines.

The fourth set proved to be by far the most interesting and exciting of all. Each man continued to win a game a piece till the score stood at five all, when Sears beat the next two games, thus winning the set and match.

A large delegation of Harvard men was present.