Statistics of the Freshman Class.

There is no better way to ascertain in what favor Harvard is held by young men preparing for college in the different localities of this country than by a comparison of the statistics of the various freshman classes. It has been the custom of the CRIMSON for several years to collect these statistics in order to find out the rise or decline of Harvard influence in the different states, cities and above all, the large preparatory schools of the United States. To begin with, below will be found a list of the number of the men who have entered the class of '91 from the larger states, compared with the number entering in previous years. All special students and dropped '90 men have been excluded. The total number of bona fide freshmen who have so far registered is 267, but it is probable that a few more freshmen who took the fall examinations have registered since the list was made.

Freshmen. '88 '89 '90 '91

Massachusetts, 148 149 158 153

New York, 31 39 34 40

Pennsylvania, 17 7 13 7

Illinois, 6 11 6 14

Ohio, 9 7 6 4

California, 5 7 9 5

New Hampshire, 4 4 7 6

New Jersey, 8 2 2 3

Other States, 23 31 34 31

Foreign Countries 0 2 1 0

It is very encouraging to note the steady increase of men from New York, especially when that state has two very large colleges, Columbia and Cornell, besides a host of smaller ones. Illinois is showing up extremely well, and Colorado, which is not on the list, has contributed this year as many freshmen as California. The Southern states are very backward in sending men here, none of them contributing more than two. In the West, however, Harvard seems to be popular.

We will now pass on to the large cities, but unfortunately, no records have been kept in this respect with the classes of '88 and '89, so we shall only be able to compare last year's freshman class with '91.

Freshmen. '90 '91

Boston, 43 51