A Few Facts About Harvard.

THE FRESHMAN CLASS-SALARIES PAID THE INSTRUCTORS.

Thus far, about 240 young men have been admitted to the freshman class at Harvard, the number at Yale being 205; but fully 100 more are expected to appear, so that the entering class may number over 300. Last year 280 registered.

At Yale in stating the size of the entering class it is customary to include the scientific school freshmen, this year numbering 106 and making the total number registered there 311. At Harvard the entries in the scientific school are not counted, nor are those of special students. The students in the Lawrence Scientific School are so few that it matters little whether they are counted or not; but as Harvard this year registers nearly if not quite 100 new special students, it would be fair, according to the Yale method of computation, to call the entering class at Cambridge over 400 strong. The exact figures cannot of course be known until after the pending examinations are completed. If any material increase is made this year in the number of students in the Harvard professional schools, the whole number of students in the university is likely to be about 2000, an aggregate of which Americans may well be proud, even when comparing it with the student rolls of English and Continental universities.

With this large body of students, all or nearly all of whom pay the annual tuition fee of $150, it seems strange that complaints are heard of the low salaries paid the Harvard professors. Scrutiny of the treasurer's report shows, however, that every dollar which can really be spared from other things is given to the officers of instruction. But the fact remains unquestioned that, as a rule, the professors and instructors, old as well as young, are not rewarded in proportion either to their talent or their labor. Here and there a professorship is fairly well endowed, but the aggregate income of the college professorship funds is only about $30,000, while the annual payments to the instructors in the college is over $154,000. No one can doubt that if the alumni gave what they can well afford to give, and what they would probably be willing to give if they fully understood the facts, a fund could be accumulated which would yield an income sufficient to pay men like Professors Bowen, Child, Norton, Gibbs, Cooke, Dunbar, Peirce, Goodale, Shaler and Royce amounts nearly as large as they could earn by their pens if they devoted their entire time to literary work. At pres serving the university. It is to their credit that they make this sacrifice, but it is anything but creditable for the Harvard alumni to allow year after year to go by without making an effort to pay them decent salaries.

The present year will be remarkable for the amount of money available to aid poor students in the academic department. There were 111 scholarships awarded last year, not counting 10 of the Price-Greenleaf foundation. At least 120 will be awarded this year. The beneficiary funds distributed during the year amounted to about $2500. This year considerably more than $10,000 in addition will be available for distribution as beneficiary funds. This great sum comes from the Price-Greenleaf bequest, and forms the most remarkable benefaction of the kind ever created. When it becomes known that the college has funds to this amount to distribute, there will undoubtedly be a sudden increase in the number of poor students desirous of making Harvard the scene of their labors. As previously stated, the aggregate income of the various college professorship funds is about $80,000. Counting the income from all the scholarships, the loan funds and the beneficiary funds, the college as trustee is able to give to poor students over $300,000 a year. From this it would appear that the benefactors of Harvard consider that it is quite as important to encourage needy freshmen as to give the members of the faculty the means of sustaining life.- Boston Advertiser.