The "Advocate."

The fifth number of the Advocate appeared Saturday afternoon. If the editorials of the last number were strong and vigorous, those of the present number are deserving of still greater praise. The majority of them are on that interesting theme, football, and the feeling which at present pervades the colleges is expressed with great clearness and force. It is hard under such circumstances to keep always within the bounds of good taste, but the editors in handling this delicate matter have made a manly, straightforward condemnation of a great injustice done to Harvard, and their good taste deserves to be commended. There are no spiteful attacks directed by malice, but a plain statement of facts squarely and honestly presented.

"End of a November Afternoon," the first article of the number, is an admirable bit of verse and shows a powerful imagination in the writer. There is something weird about the poem, which tends to make it all the more attractive. This is, I believe, the first bit of verse which the writer has ever published in the Advocate.

"The Swan's Secret" is an interesting tale of the downward career of an Italian noble in the guise of a revolutionist. There is a pathetic current running through it, and the individuality of the writer is at times strongly marked. The idea of introducing the swans at the end of the story is a very happy one.

The "Senior Class Poem" by Mr. McCleary is a very entertaining and amusing poem and compares very favorably with like poems written of late at Harvard. The bright, vivacious style which is peculiar to this writer is not wanting here.

"On the Beach" is a short piece of description which is deserving of great praise. The scene is clearly brought before the reader's eyes. There is a reality in those waves tossing and tumbling which suggests a wonderful power of description in the writer. An admirable poem on Fate follows this and shows a depth of thought seldom exhibited in college poetry. "Unappreciated Talent" is a Seri-comic story written in a very bright vein and serves to lighten up the solemnity which the preceding articles give the paper.

"The John Harvard Mystery" is a blood-curdling tale and proves conclusively who it was that committed the vandal act on the John Harvard statue in 1884. It is only another example of the immense power of imagination which the writer possesses. Some book notices and items make up the rest of the paper.