The Union Debate.

The report of the Harvard Union Debate of Thursday night was crowded out of yesterday's issue. The question discussed was: "Resolved that the Land Tax of Henry George should be abolished." The principal disputants for the affirmative were Mr. Stedman, L. S. and Mr. Torrey, '90: For the negative, J. A. Bailey, '88 and J. M. Hallowell, '88. Mr. Stedman said that economic laws should be based on facts not on ideals. Land made valuable by the efforts of the community, should be taken for the good of the community.

Mr. Bailey, '88, opened for the negative, declaring that George's assumption that this is an age of progress and poverty is wrong. It is an age of progress from poverty.

Mr. Torrey, '90, replied for the affirmative, showing what the practical application of George's theory would be if adopted, and quoted at length from Macaulay in support of it.

Mr. Hallowell, '88, negative, closed the diapute for the principals, declaring that the Western lands would never have been developed if George's ideas had been carried out.

The following men spoke from the floor: Affirmative-Williams, '88; Page, '88; Green, '89. Negative-Osborn, L. S.; Pinkham. L. S.; Coulson, Sp.; Gay, '88; Naumburg, '89; Bates, '90; Stebbins, '90; Beckwith, Sp. The vote on the merits of the question was: Affirmative, 12; negative, 15. On the merits of the debate by principal disputants: Affirmative, 4; negative, 27. On the merits of the debate as a whole: Affirmative 5; negative, 12.

It was voted to debate on the following question at the next meeting:-

"Resolved, that the general policy outlined in President Cleveland message should be adopted by Congress."