The Deutscher Verein.

The first regular meeting of the Harvard Deutscher Verein was held in 16 Hollis, Wednesday evening. It was the custom of the society during the previous years of its existence to invite members of the faculty or other officers of the university to address the members at the meeting on some subject connected with German literature, history or customs. It was found that the interest of the individual members lagged somewhat, and in order to revive that interest it was determined that this winter each member should take an active part in the meetings of the Verein. On Wednesday evening the new plan was put into into operation. Mr. Hoffman read an essay on "Die Sager der Wartburg," Mr. Ewald an essay on "Von Moltke," and Mr. Tilton a poem by Uhland, entitled "Des Saengers Fluch"

The Verein has taken for a number of years four German papers: Fliegende Blatter, the daily Kolinsche Zeitung, the Illustriate Zeitung, and Die Kunst fur Alle, published at Munich. It was voted that these papers be placed at the disposal of all those who wished to read them. They will be found in Sever 3, and easy access to them can be had by any one who is interested in German. The only restriction made by the Verein is that the papers must be kept within their covers in order that they may not be destroyed.

It is probable that two or three public meetings will be held by the Verein during the winter, at which gentlemen well known to the students will be invited to speak in German on some timely subject.

The objects of these meetings will be to stimulate, if possible, the interests of the students at large in the study of the German language, and it is believed that this object may be better attained by a series of public meetings than by the performance of a German play as proposed by some.