The Yale Crew take a Spin on the Harber.

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Jan. 30. - The Yale crew rowed on the harbor a couple of days ago. The reason of this outdoor trial was to test the crew, and see if the work in the tank had produced beneficial results. The trial was highly successful, and Captain Rogers feels much elated. The length of the tank is just sufficient for a barge to be placed therein. To keep the boat from rocking too much in the choppy sea, which is occasioned by the rowing, ropes are suspended from the ceiling and fastened under the ends of the boat. After a few strokes have been taken the water begins to dash violently, and waves ten or twenty inches in height are formed, which travel in a circular direction and form whirlpools about seven feet in diameter. When the men first began to row ordinary oars were used, but it was found too hard work to use them in such a small space of still water. Then triangular shaped pieces, comprising two-thirds of the blades, were cut out, thus allowing part of the water to rush through the oars. This experiment is working well, and the men row easily and in good shape. - N. Y. Star.