In the year 1866, the senior class, after much discussion, decided that the increasing size of the classes demanded an additional senior society. The outgrowth of this decision was the formation of the
PI ETA SOCIETY.It was to be devoted to literary and social purposes. The class of '66 did not intend to hand the Pi Eta down to the junior class, but the desirability of doing so was proved by the great interest taken in the club. The society was formally recognized by the faculty in 1869.
Early in its existence it became apparent to its members that the club could not exist without some permanent abiding place. At that time there were no vacant rooms in the college yard, so they were compelled to hire apartments on Brighton street, which continued to be the society quarters for seven years. In 1873, the club moved to four rooms in the upper part of the north entry of Hollis. The society soon outgrew these rooms, and in 1876 moved to its present apartments on Brattle street. Dramatic entertainments are of frequent occurrence in the club. The enthusiasm of its members, in regard to its interests, insures for the club a strong foothold among college societies and a continuance of its present prosperity.
THE O.K.The formation of the O. K. Society was the result of a reaction unfavorable to Greek-letter societies. It was established by the class of '59, among whom Greek-letter societies had fallen into great disrepute. The object of the society is the pursuit of literary and social enjoyment. The members are taken from the senior class, and the membership is limited to sixteen. The motto of the society is "Ars celare artem." The society has no rooms of its own, but meets in the rooms of the various members. In these meetings it has been customary to keep the literary aims of the society firmly in view, and not to allow the social element to preponderate.
EVERETT ATHENAEUM.The origin of this society was very similar to that of the Pi Eta. In 1867, the size of the sophomore class demanded that there should be more than one sophomore society. The Institute of 1770 had grown to occupy a position of monopoly which was distasteful to some, and it needed the stimulus of a vigorous rival. With the purpose of organizing such a rival, a petition was circulated in 1867, which, with the names of half the class thereon, was presented to and approved by the faculty. As it was too late in the year to make any more progress in the matter, the business was put off until the following autumn, at which time the petitioners assembled in Massachusetts Hall and proceeded to the election of officers and the drafting of a constitution. The success of the new society was now assured. It was carried on in a vigorous and active manner. Weekly meetings were held, at which literary exercises took place, and this was varied by an occasional dramatic entertainment. A room in one of the college buildings was assigned by the faculty. Later the upper hall of Holden Chapel was granted them, a hall in which one hundred and fifty could be seated, and which contained an ample stage for theatrical purpose. Within a few years the society has moved to new rooms on Brattle street.
By the articles of the constitution, officers of this society hold their offices for one college term only. There are from thirty to forty members in the club, the first ten of which are chosen by the sophomores from the freshman class toward the last of that academic term. These ten choose, during the first of their sophomore year, ten more, and so on until the number is complete. Much attention is paid to music and theatricals at present, a stage manager and chorister being among the officers of the society.