Appleton Chapel.

Rev. E. E. Hale preached in Appleton Chapel last evening.

Nine-tenths of the sins of the world are those of omission. Some men say that preachers talk too much about people's sins. These men assert that they have not broken any of the ten commandments during the week and that if the ministers do not stop telling that they are sinners they will not go to church. They may also show that the world is not so bad, in comparison to former times, as many think it. We no longer have to carry weapons; statistics show that crime is decreasing. But this satisfaction is almost entirely with regard to sins of commission; those of omission are put on a different plan by most men. He who says he has kept the ten commandments will probably be less assertive when asked what he has done that he ought to have done. He has not told you in this former account of himself that he has done his duty.

God moves the earth and sun for man, prepares warmth and food and clothing and gives him opportunities. Man accepts the gifts but refuses to do anything more but struggle to be free from the duties. By this he loses the key to life. His danger is that of the man who had driven out one devil and had swept and garnished the house but, though free from crime, no life was in the dwelling and it was seized again by more evil than before. Activity is the true safeguard. Let the man who thinks he does not sin take heed lest he fall. The empty house must be filled and if not with life then with destruction. Duty done at its first appearance gives new strength and knowledge for the next opportunity. It may not be done wisely or well but if with all one's strength and skill it will surely bring one nearer to perfection. The Gospels are vital through the activity that moves in them. Christ said "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you," and His words and life teach one energy in doing good that swallows up such negative satisfaction as lies in mere now - commission of sin.

The choir sang the following anthems:

"The Salvation of the Righteous," Vincent; "Bring unto the Lord," Gladstone.