College Journals.

III.

Two years after the death of the "Register" one of its former contributors, anxious to wield the pen once more, started a new journal, called "The Collegian," which is said to have been of unusual excellence. Among its contributors was O. W. Holmes, then in the Medical School, who wrote under the fictitious name of Frank Hock. One of the volumes of "The Collegian" contains "The Spectre Pig," "The Mysterious Visitor, Evening." "The Dorchester Giant," and other pieces from the pen of the since famous poet. But "The Collegian," good as it was, did not escape the fate of its predecessors, and, after the publication of six numbers, it was discontinued, presumably from non-support.

No attempt to start another magazine was made for four years, when two freshmen conceived the ambitious idea of founding a new publication. They enthusiastically called a class-meeting and submitted their plan to their fellows, who were unanimous in their approval. But as some of the upper-classmen took the matter in hand the freshmen yielded the field and the seniors and juniors started the new journal, which was called the "Harvardiana." The first number, of octavo size with a blue cover engraved with a picture of University Hall, appeared in 1835. The editors in their opening address offer a very remarkable array of talent: "The frank and high-spirited son of the South, the cool and indefatigable Northerner, the poet with tremulous nerves and flashing eye, the reserved and imperturbable mathematician, the meditative and subtile metaphysician, are all for a time united and will probably impress their distinguishing peculiarities upon the work." The noticeable characteristic of this periodical was its fertility in stories, and poetry of more than ordinary merit. Among its editors who have since attained eminence were Nathan Hale, Jr., Rufus King, and James Russell Lowell, all of the class of 1838. An amusing feature of the magazine was the publication of extracts from rejected manuscripts under the title of "Shyllyoliana," The paper always led a rather dubious existence and, after the publication of the fourth volume, lack of support caused its suspension and death.

For sixteen years after the extinction of the "Harvardiana" no efforts were made to start a new magazine. But in 1854 the literary men of '55 and '56 took courage and gave to the college world the first number of a new periodical called "The Harvard Magazine." Nearly all of its first editors have since attained prominence. The class of '55 was represented by F. B. Sanborn, C. A. Chase and Phillips Brooks, while J. J. Jacobsen, J. B. Greenough and E. F. Fisher were chosen from '56. "The Harvard Magazine' had a longer life than any of its predecessors, and did not go under until its tenth year was passed, when indifference on the part of both editors and subscribers alike caused it to cease publication.