'89 vs. '90.

Yesterday afternoon '89 and '90 played the closest game of the season thus far. '90 put Young in to catch Sabine, Slade covering third, and Jones second base. The change was not an advantageous one, as neither men filled their positions acceptably. Young caught Sabine well, although he got somewhat "rattled" at times. In the first inning, '90 made five runs on hits and errors of '89. After this '89 got down to work and for the rest of the game played a sharp fielding game. '89 was unable to hit Sabine reffectually, but their few hits were welltimed. '90 played played a loose game throughout and had it not been for errors of their opponents, would have lost the game. McPherson pitched a plucky game, striking men out at critical points. In the last inning '90 went to pieces and with three men on bases, Downer was given a base on balls. Still with the bases full, a timely hit brought in two runs and errors by '90 subsequently cleared the bases with the score 13 to 12 in favor of '89. The last half of the last inning opened with Slade getting his base on a missed third strike. Kielty fouled out. Piper made a hit to short left field which was thrown wild. Slade and Piper both scored and '90 won by a score of 14 to 13. Both Vila and Trafford gave good exhibitions of ball playing at first base.