Yale Letter.

NEW HAVEN, May 10, 1887.

Now that the football season is over, public attention is turned to rowing, baseball and track athletics. In the first named branch of athletics, much activity is being shown, owing to the fine weather which has prevailed here for the past week. The candidates for the University crew number eighteen at present, and it is expected that this number will be considerably augmented when the semi-annual examinations are over. Captain Stevenson has had a crew upon he water almost every day since the Thanksgiving recess, and will continue to do so until obliged by inclement weather to put his men in the barge which has been placed in the gymnasium, which has been thoroughly repaired.

Captain Stag has been trying the new material in the freshman class, which has had no chance to show itself as the faculty forbade the usual sophomore-freshman game this year.

It is believed that a good change pitcher can be secured from the class. Regular practice in the cage will be commenced in January.

The first annual cross-country run for the championship of the University was held Saturday under the auspices of the Athletic Association. It was hotly contested by the dozen men who entered. The course was about ten miles in length and was traversed in about one hour. Phelps, '87, won the championship by only a few yards with Lloyd, '91, second and Bradner, '89, third.

In addition to this, the Athletic Association held a bicycle run Saturday and has begun regular practice in throwing the hammer and putting the shot. Men will be sent to every athletic contest which may take place in New York and Brooklyn this winter to represent the University.

The second of the University receptions given by President and Mrs. Dwight was held in Dwight Hall, Tuesday evening and was even more successful than the first one. The number of students and townspeople in attendance was very large and the affair was much enjoyed by those present.

Tobogganing which was so popular throughout the University last year, will doubtless take its place again among winter sports this year.

The governors of the New Haven Club have already sent out a circular to the members promising that every effort will be made to render the sport safe and agreeable and inviting all those who may so desire to join the club.-Yale News.