News from the Cambridge Crew.

We print the following cable to the Boston Globe from their English corespondent:

LONDON, May 5. - I was plied with all manner of questions as to what sort of a river the Thames was, the length of the course, the condition of the water, how far from New York or Boston, how many people attended the Yale and Harvard races and who paid the club's expenses when they raced there.

This last question I found was the most important of any just at present. Charles J. Bristow, president of the Cambridge University Boat Club, said:

"When Harvard challenged us last year, and later on invited us to go to America, all our men had gone off home or to different places, and it would have been impossible to get them together. So we did not accept, but while we were training for the race on the Thames with Oxford, I met ex-President Brandagee of the Harvard club, and he again extended the invitation. I spoke to our captain, but nothing was done, because we were so busy. After the race the matter was talked over, and I wrote privately to Mr. Coolidge of the Harvard club.

On Thursday last Rev. E. H. Morgan of Jesus College, the treasurer of the boat club, called a meeting of the captains. I was elected president, and at once suggested the advisability of corresponding with Harvard. The statement by Treasurer Morgan showed that our treasury had been badly depleted by the Oxford race expenses, and that it would be very hard work raising the funds necessary to defray the expenses of a trans-Atlantic trip. Therefore, before any propositions were made to Harvard, it was thought proper to ascertain the cost of the trip.

A committee was appointed, with Treasurer Morgan as chairman, to take charge of the matter, and letters were at once written to the various steamship companies asking their lowest rates. Just at present we are deliberating on what our expenses would be after reaching America. Some friends of ours tell us that it is customary for the railroad and steamboat companies and hotels benefited by the crowds that go to such events to defray the expenses, and advised us either to write to them or to ask Harvard to learn for us what could be done in that direction. There would undoubtedly be enormous numbers of people at the race, and the railroads and hotels ought to be quite liberal in the matter, you know."

"When would you probably race?"

"Well, we would have to attend the Harvard regattas, which are in the last week in June and first part of July. So it would take us until September to get ready to go to the other side, and get into proper condition for the race."

"What men would go with you?"

"The crew which defeated Oxford.

The are as follows: Bow, R. McKenna, Trinity Hall, 147 pounds; No. 2, C. T. Barclay, Trinity, 154 pounds; No. 3, P. Langdale, Trinity, 168 pounds; No. 4, T. R. Oxford, Kings, 181 pounds; No. 5, S. Fairbairn, Jesus, 187 pounds; No. 6, S. D. Muttlebury, Trinity, 188 pounds; C. Barclay, Trinity, 161 pounds; stroke, C. T. Bristowe, Trinity, 151 pounds; coxswain, G. H. Baker, Queens, 92 pounds.