Childe Harvard.

There are probably but very few persons in the University who are aware of the existence of a book called "Childe Harvard: A Romance of Cambridge." It was published by one of the members of the graduating class of 1848 under the pseudonym of Senior Algerno. The real name is not known, and inquiry gives no information about either author or publisher. "Childe Harvard" is a narrative in verse, and is a travesty on Byron's "Childe Harold." The poem consists of four cantos and covers about 150 duodecimo pages. It is written in a humorons strain, interspersed with some sentimentality, and contains many bits of bright verse. The story itself is very obscure, and is no more than a foundation on which the writer bases his many digressions. But it is, nevertheless, amusing, and no one can read of the old landmarks and customs, which have long since passed away, without interest and pleasure. Among other things an "exhibition" day is described with vigor and considerable humor. Unfortunately the work is scarce and is, therefore, the more to be treasured, not especially on account of its literary merit, but for its portrayal of the Harvard life of half a century ago.