Pr spects of Well-Contested Fall Sports.

Some very goods races may be looked for at the freshman races this fall. Ninety-two has sent a number of unusually promising men on to the track both in short and long-distance running; yet she has not filled in our weak places as might have been hoped. Jumping, pole-vaulting, putting the shot and throwing the hammer are fine openings for new men. We were more or less weak in most of these events last year; we are still weaker this. The number of hurdle racers, too, is smaller than it should be. There is a good deal of knack in this sort of racing, and speed is a somewhat minor consideration. Thus it gives those lacking this latter quality a fine chance to put in good and effective work. In our flat races we stand as we did last year; we have only lost one "first-place" man from these events, and many new and promising men are showing up. There is still, however, plenty of room for more, and many an unsuspecting man, especially among those who play much tennis and such games, has turned out a strong runner. A few new walkers have also come out and are on the whole showing very good form. Our strongest event undoubtedly is the bicycle race. In this we have a new man who is doing some very fast work. If some heavy men will only show up for the field events, our chances of sending a very strong team to New York next year will be unusually good. All we need is good and faithful training and those who present themselves for the team must come prepared to do this.