Harvard, 34; Wesleyan, 0.

The Harvard eleven played the Wesleyan team at Middletown, Saturday, and defeated it by a score of 34-0. The day was fine for football, there being but little wind; but the ground was muddy and slippery from the recent rains. The teams were made up as follows:-

Harvard-Cumnock, Longstreth, Finlay, Cranston (centre), Trafford, Davis, Harding and Crosby; Dean, quarter-back; Porter and Fitzhugh, half-backs; Sears, full-back.

Wesleyan-Crane, Johnson, Eaton, Gardiner (centre), Brainard, Glen, Floy; Eggleston, quarter; McDonald and Hall, half-backs; Slayback, full-back.

Time was called at 3 o'clock, Wesleyan having the ball. Wesleyan gained fifteen yards in the first rush, but lost it immediately by the good work of the Harvard rushers. McDonald then punted to Porter, who returned the kick. Wesleyan got the ball, but it went to Harvard for foul holding by the Wesleyan end rush. Fitzhugh gained ten yards and five yards more were given for off-side play by Wesleyan. Wesleyan got the ball on a fumble and kicked. Harvard's down. Rushes by Trafford, Porter and Sears and a kick by Sears brought the ball to Wesleyan's five-yard line. The ball was dribbled to McDonald, who fumbled, and Davis dropping on the ball scored the first touchdown. Time, 6 minutes. Fitzhugh tried for goal, but missed. Wesleyan kicked from the twenty-five-yard line and Sears returned. Wesleyan's down on the fifteen-yard line. Davis got the ball from a bad pass, and Porter and Sears rushing gained ten yards. Sears tried a goal from the field, but failed. Slayback fumbled the ball, and Cumnock dropping on it scored the second touchdown. Time, 10 minutes. Fitzhugh kicked a goal, but it was disallowed on account of Harding's offside play. Wesleyan's ball on twenty-five-yard line. A bad fumble of Hall brought the ball within a few feet of the Wesleyan line. Dean broke through and stopped McDonald's punt, and Davis again getting the ball secured Harvard's third touchdown. Time 13 minutes. Fitzhugh kicked a goal. Score, 14-0. From centre of field the ball was dribbled to Slayback, who gained ten yards. Wesleyan kicked and Harvard got the ball but lost it, Wesleyan getting through the rush line. Dean got the ball from a fumble by Eggleston, but it returned to Wesleyan on a fumble by Davis. Harvard getting the ball on a foul, Sears kicked. Wesleyan returned and Porter had the ball down on Wesleyan's forty-yard line. Rushes by Fitzhugh, Finlay, Davis, Porter and Sears advanced the ball 35-yards, when it went to Wesleyan on a foul. Wesleyan making a short punt, Harvard had the ball down and Sears drop-kicked for a goal but missed. After punting by both sides, Harvard had the ball down on Wesleyan's 25-yard line. Rushes by Porter and Fitzhugh, and five yards for a foul brought the ball three yards from the goal line, when the ball was lost to Wesleyan. Eggleston made a bad pass and Wesleyan made a safety touchdown. Score 16-0. Wesleyan kicked from the twenty-five yard line. Sears returned well, and just as Slayback caught the ball Cumnock downed him just behind the goal line, scoring the second safety against Wesleyan. Wesleyan kicked and Sears returned, and Slayback had a fair catch on the twenty-yard line. Porter returned his kick, and Trafford, in attempting to keep the ball from rolling over the line, slipped and knocked it across. Cranston stopped Wesleyan's kick from the 25-yard line and Finlay dropped on the ball. Rushes by Sears, Porter, Trafford and Davis carried the ball to the three-yard line, and Sears rushed it across, scoring the fourth touchdown for Harvard, from which Fitzhugh kicked a goal. Time 35 minutes. Wesleyan started the ball from the centre of the field and gained ten yards, when Cumnock got the ball from a bad pass and carried it to Wesleyan's twenty-yard line before he was stopped. After three downs Sears kicked, but the ball was stopped. Porter got the ball. Harvard having lost fifteen yards. Rushes again advanced Harvard twenty-yards, when Sears tried for a goal from the field and missed. Wesleyan kicked from the twenty-yard line and Fitzhugh returned. McDonald fumbled and Davis got the ball. Fitzhugh advanced the ball six yards and Sears carried it over the line. Time, 42 minutes. No goal. No more points were scored this half. Score: Harvard, 28; Wesleyan, 0.

On account of lack of time the second half was only twenty minutes long. Rushes by Dean, Porter and Fitzhugh advanced the ball twenty-three yards, when it went to Wesleyan on a fumble the Wesleyan back muffed a pass, and Harvard getting the ball, Sears punted to the fifteen-yard line. Trafford stopped the return kick and dropped on the ball, making the sixth touchdown for Harvard. Fitzhugh kicked a goal. No points were made; but Wesleyan nearly scored against Harvard, when a hard punt of Sears was stopped and the ball rolled nearly to Harvard's line, where Wesleyan dropped on it. The Harvard rushers by hard work got the ball, and the stong punting of the Harvard backs sent it to the centre of the field. A fumble of a Wesleyan's kick again brought the ball close to Harvard's goal, but it was quickly forced into Wesleyan's territory, when a kick by Sears was fumbled and Cranston carried the ball across Wesleyan's line. The referee, however, allowed it a fair catch with an originality of decision that was unique, to say the least. The kicking of Wesleyan and the fumbling of the Harvard backs brought the ball into Harvard's territory. Slayback made a beautiful punt, which Sears caught well, just in front of the Harvard goal, as time was called.

There was a noticeable improvement in the playing of the team since the game of Wednesday, particularly in breaking through and dropping on the ball. The tackling and holding are still the weak points. The tacks were unable to rush well on account of the slippery ground; all, however, punted well. The best work in the rush line was done by Cranston, Davis and Cumnock. Slayback punted and tackled well for Wesleyan. Mr. Landon refereed the game. Harding was umpire in the first half; Beattys, Wesleyan, '85, the second, which, fortunately for Harvard, lasted only 20 minutes.

The action of the Wesleyan team, and the Wesleyan men among the spectators were such as to justify Harvard teams in refusing to have anything to do with Wesleyan in the future. The substitutes of the team and two or three others followed the game around the field and accused the umpire of cheating at every decision he made against the Wesleyan team, while the crowd howled and hissed a chorus. The men on the team itself resorted to the meanest tricks "muckerism" could suggest to injure our men.