Interscholastic Foot Ball Association.

A number of Harvard men, anxious to arouse a greater interest in foot ball among the preparatory schools in Boston and its vicinity and thus secure better candidates for the college team, have taken an important step toward this end. A committee consisting of J. H. Sears (chairman), A. P. Butler, F. C. Woodman, C. A. Porter, F. S. Fiske, and R. S. Hale (secretary) have donated a cup, to be called the Boston School football Challenge Cup. The conditions governing the cup provide that schools within fifteen miles of Boston, and such others as the committee may admit for one year, shall be eligible for the competition. The cup shall be competed for once in a year, and the winning school shall have its name and the name of its team engraved. All games are to be played under intercollegiate rules, by men regularly enrolled in the schools only; teachers and any men not pursuing at least three courses of study in a school are not allowed to play for the cup on the team of that school, and any school breaking this rule forfeits all right to the cup for the year.

This action of the committee has led to the formation of the Interscholastic Foot Ball Association, in which the following schools are represented: Roxbury Latin, Boston Latin, Chauncy Hall, Cambridge High and Latin combined, Mr. Hopkinson's, Mr. Hale's and Mr. Nichols'and Mr. Stone's combined, and Mr. Noble's. The officers are as follows: President, R. B. Beals, Roxbury Latin School; Vice-President, E. B. Randall, Mr. Noble's school; Secretary, F. W. Lord, Mr. Hale's school; Treasurer, F. Loring, Mr. Nichols' school. The series of games consists of one game with each school to be played on grounds mutually agreed on. The championship is to be decided by the greatest number of games won. A schedule has been arranged, and the first game will be played Oct. 19. There is a prospect of some very interesting contests among the teams of the Association.