The Association Game of Foot Ball.

One familiar with the American game of football as played in our colleges may yet be entirely unacquainted with the English association game, so great is the fundamental difference between the two.

The Globe contained recently an interesting article purporting to be an interview with a well known English player, in which he discusses at some length the association game. The leading features of the two games are distinctly different. With us running with the ball in our arms is the chief play; but according to the Association rules a foul is called if anyone with the exception of the goal keeper touches the ball with either arms or hands.

As with us, eleven players constitute the association team, but the positions differ considerable. There are three half backs, five so called forwards and a goal keeper. Touch-downs are never made in the association game, and a goal can only be secured by placing the ball under the cross bar.

All passing is done with the head, making the game in this respect much more difficult than our own. No man is considered an excellent player unless he can catch the ball surely on his head and shoulders and pass it safely.

The ball is advanced down the field by doubling and is never picked up with the hands unless by a foul. All kinds of tackling are prohibited, the nearest approximation to it which is allowed being the right to shoulder or push a player with the body. The hands must never touch the player.