Yale's Doubtful Honors.

The following clipping from the Herald of yesterday, is a fair estimate of the opinion held by the Boston newspaper world in regard to the recent Harvard-Yale foot-ball episode:

"The intercollegiate foot-ball championship season is over, and Yale has won first honors. It is very unfair for the Yale journals to assume that, because the wearers of the blue won from Princeton, they would have won from Harvard as readily, or more so. What Yale tries to make out by no means follows. It will go on record that the Yale team was enabled to win the championship of 1888 by forfeit, the Harvard faculty refusing to allow the eleven to play at New York, and the Yale management refusing to allow its players to go elsewhere. It has always been supposed that a standard of sportsmanship exists among the college men, different from that which prevails among the professionals, but such a feeling has not been observable in this foot-ball controversy. The Harvard foot-ball management had not the least inkling that the faculty of that institution had any idea of placing them in the embarrassing position they have found themselves in, and from which they were utterly unable to escape. If the members of the intercollegiate association had any idea that there was to have been any outside interference, as has been the case, it is more than probable that the game would have been played in Cambridge, or at all events, outside of New Haven.

"The condition of things was so extraordinary that the matter ought to have been brought before the association at a special meeting convened for that purpose. If Yale can claim any glory from a championship won, as has been the case this year, well and good. It was like the claim of forfeit when a team had been unable to reach its destination on account of the breaking down of a train, or a detention of some nature. Harvard has a good eleven. The Harvards played their game with the Princetons on the grounds of the latter, and not on neutral territory, as was the case with the Princeton and Yale game. There was therefore no chance of comparison under equal conditions. If Yale felt as sure of defeating Harvard as it pretended, why did the Yale management not consent to the playing of an exhibition game, which would count as nothing even in case of defeat? No, Yale did not care to take any chances."