College Papers at Harvard.

The first periodical printed by undergraduates of Harvard College appeared July 14, 1810. It was called the Harvard Lyceum, and its chief editor was Edward Everett (1811). The object in founding this paper was to bring all topics referring to the college before the student body, and to pay particular attention to American literature. The board of editors consisted of seven seniors, and the paper was published semi-monthly. After a successful existence of nine months, the Lyceum stopped.

Sixteen years later, in February, 1827, Cornelius Conway Felton, '27, together with two other seniors, started the Harvard Register. This paper was published monthly, and in August of the same year three members of the class of 1828 took charge of the paper and published it till its close in February, 1828. The cause of this sudden close of the Register lay in the literary indifference which prevailed at the time.

Two years later, in February, 1830, appeared the first copy of The Collegian. The staff of editors consisted of John O. Sargent, '30; Theodore W. Snow, '30; William H. Simmons, '31; R. Habersham, '31, and Frederic William Brune, '31. Oliver Wendell Holmes, who had graduated the year before, although not an editor, contributed the best articles in The Collegian. Numerous poems of his appeared first in this paper. The Collegian was published monthly for six months, ending with the class of 1830.

During the four following years, no magazine was published at Harvard. In September, 1834, appeared the first number of Harvardiana. The idea of issuing this paper originated with the freshman class, but the management and editorship was handed over to the juniors ('35) for one year. The second and third volumes were published by '37, and the fourth and final one by '38. Among the prominent contributors to Harvardiana were: J. R. Lowell, Nathaniel Holmes and H. G. Hale.

After an interval of sixteen years, another periodical was started, called The Harvard Magazine, which was the longest-lived and the last magazine published by Harvard students. Its first number appeared in December, 1854, and its first staff of editors consisted of F. A. Sanborn, '55; Charles A. Chase, '55; Phillips Brooks, '55; John J. Jacobsen, '56; J. B. Greenough, '56, and E. T. Fisher, '56. The Harvard Magazine was published during ten years and was noted for great literary worht.

In January, 1866, the first number of the Collegian was published. It was a fortnightly paper devoted to college literature, and news, and from the start showed great disrespect for the college government. In April, 1866, after three numbers had been issued, the faculty ordered the discontinuance of the Collegian.

In May of the same year, the Advocate appeared, and the first volume contained seven numbers. Gradually the numbers have been increased, until at present the Harvard Advocate, as the paper has been called since 1872, is published twenty times during college term.

In January, 1873, the Magenta was first published. Its editors belonged to the classes of '74 and '75, and the paper came out once a month. In 1875 the name Magenta was changed to Crimson to agree with the college color.

In 1876 members of the three upper classes made a venture in a field of journalism which had never been entered by college papers. The Harvard Lampoon appeared fortnightly until June, 1880, and gained from the very start a great success, due very much to the drawings of F. S. Atwood, '78 and of Robert Grant, '78. The Lampoon resumed publication in March, 1881, and immediately regained its high position amongst illustrated papers.

The first number of the Harvard Daily Echo appeared in 1879 and the paper continued until 1882. The Echo was deemed a necessity of college life, and acquired a large circulation, 130,000 copies having been sold in 1880.

In 1882 the Herald was published. It was a daily paper, on the style of the Echo, and contained nothing but college news. In 1883 it was published conjointly with the Crimson as a daily, and the following year the paper changed its name to the DAILY CRIMSON.