Summer Schools.

During the summer vacation of 1888, summer schools in the following subjects will be held by the University in Cambridge: Botany, Chemistry, French, German, Geology, History, Physics, Physical training, Topography. During the sessions of the schools the central library of the college will be open from 9 a. m. until 5 p. m. Persons who desire to join any of the schools should send notice of their intention not later than June 15.

The school of Chemistry will open July 9th and close August 18th; it will be under the direction of Dr. Courey. Instruction will be given in general Chemistry, Qualitative Analysis, Quantitative Analysis and Organic Chemistry. A course in the work required for the admission examination in chemistry will be given.

The School of Geology will open on July 10th, at the Agassiz Museum in Cambridge, where a fortnight will be spent in introductory work, and in daily excursions. The remainder of the six weeks' course will be divided between points in Rhode Island, the lower Connecticut Valley and the Catskill Mountains. For particulars in regard to excursions see the special circular on the School of Geology.

An elementary course in Physics will begin on July 9th and will continue four weeks. The object of this course is to present to teachers and others the forty experiments in elementary physics recommended to students preparing for Harvard. This course will be conducted by Dr. Hall. An advanced course in Physics will be given by Dr. Whiting, at the Physical Laboratory, beginning on July 2d and lasting five weeks.

The course in French and German will begin July 6th and close August 17. Besides the daily recitations there will be evening readings and translations. A special endeavor will be made to furnish an opportunity for those who wish to prepare for the admission examinations in modern languages.

The School of Botany will be held at the Botanical Gardens, in Cambridge, from July 2d to July 28th. The course is especially designed for teachers and will consist of lectures and laboratory work, under Professor Goodale and Mr. Ganong.

A summer course of five weeks in land and topographical surveying will be given. Students will have the use of the instruments and equipments of the scientific school.

Full information about any or all of these courses may be had from the detailed circulars in regard to each course, which can be obtained from the secretary.