Petition for a Course of in Elocution.

The following petition is now at Bartlett's and signatures are asked for immediately that it may go to the faculty as soon as possible, for the elective pamphlet is now under process of construction for the year 1888-1889:-

"TO THE FACULTY OF HARVARD COLLEGE:

We, the undersigned students in Harvard College, who have taken voluntary instruction in elocution during the present year respectfully petition your honorable body to establish among the regular courses of study a whole or half-course in this subject.

First. Because we believe perfection in speech is as requisite to the student of English as perfection in style, and should receive recognition as a branch of college study.

Secondy. Because the present method of instruction does not teach declamation but a clear, straightforward presentation of matter.

Thirdly. Because we realize from experience the advantage in every-day speech which we have gained from the voluntary work in this subject.

We request all students interested in the study of Elocution in Harvard College to append their names to this petition."