Appleton Chapel.

The attendance at the Vesper Service yesterday was very large; fully one thousand people were present. The prevailing thought of the service was the "Light of God;" and to this idea the address and music were directed. The choir sang, "We March to Victory," by Barnby. Rev. Dr. McKenzie read the Psalm. Mr. G. W. Ward then sang, "Sing Ye Praises," from Mendelsohn's "Hymn of Praise." Dr. Gordon read a few verses from the first chapter of Second Corinthians. He chose as his text the therein occurring expression, "Sincerity to God." "Sincerity, unlike many other virtues, is a quality for the appreciation of which no cultivation is necessary. A natural instinct calls out for it. Just as a famous singer like Jenny Lind has some songs which appeal only to the musically educated, but at the same time others which go to the heart of everybody. Sincerity is transparency to a higher light; that as a vase, when held against the window, discloses its flaws, so by this light our nature may show its imperfections. Here is ground on which atheists and believers may unite. For light is a relative term. The greatest sincerity will come from the greatest light and the height of sincerity will accord with the height of righteousness. For this highest light is found in Jesus Christ." The choir sang Dr. J. V. Robert's "Seek Ye the Lord," a tenor solo with chorus. A more beautiful piece to close the service could not have been sung.