Changes in the Courses for 1888-'89.

There will be a number of changes in instructors next year in several departments. Prof. Toy will resume his courses in the Semitic department. In the Greek department, Prof. Goodwin, Prof. Wright, and Prof. J. W. White will deliver a number of lectures to the freshmen; Dr. Morgan will conduct Greek 2 instead of Dr. Fowler; and three new courses will be given. In the Latin Department Prof. Smith will resume his courses. The subject of Latin 14, given by Dr. Preble, will be Catallus, and Prof. Allen will give a course on the history, structure and versification of the Roman drama. English 2 will be given by Mr. Kittredge instead of Prof. Child, and a half course in elocution will be offered by Mr. Hayes. The arrangement of the German courses will be materially changed: Mr. Babbitt will take Mr. Hochdorfer's place, German 1 will be divided into two sections, corresponding to the present German 1 and 2. German 2, to be given by Dr. Francke, will comprise the literature of the nineteenth century, Kleist, Grillparzar, Uhland, Ruchert, Heine. German 20 will be a course for special advanced study and research in the history of literature, and Prof. Sheldon will offer his couse in Gothic. Mr. Grandgent will conduct Italian 1 instead of Professor Sheldon, who will give a number of courses in philology. There will be several new instructors in the history department. History 1 will be given by Prof. Channing and Dr. Gross; History 4 on mediaeval history, by Mr. Bendelari; course 9, by Prof. McVane and Dr. Gross; course 11, by Mr. Bendelari. Professor Young's courses in Roman law will be given by Mr. Schofield. Prof. Paine will give a new course in instrumentation, with study of the scores of the great masters. In the French and philosophy departments there will be several changes in the distribution of courses incident on the absence of Profs. Bocher and Palmer. Professor Lovering's course, Physics A, will be given by Profs. Trowbridge, B. O. Pierce, Hall, and Dr. Whiting. The courses in physics will be much altered, and these changes are among the most important in the list of courses.