New London.

Already the excitement caused by annual races is beginning at New London. The Columbia freshmen have been in their quarters since the early part of the month. The Harvard freshmen came Friday and the Yale 'Varsity appeared on Saturday afternoon. Bob Cook, President Stevenson of the Navy, and Captain Stevenson of the crew arrived shortly after.

Both Cook and Stevenson say that Yale has a fine crew, in excellent condition and in good spirits.

The Yale crew begins practice to-day, rowing morning and evening. Pennsylvania will arrive to-day and their race is fixed for Saturday at 5 p. m.

The Columbia freshmen are unusually confident of defeating our freshman crew. They have beaten the Dauntless crew on the Harlem, and their hopes are accordingly high. There is no doubt that it will be a very close race.

The course will be slightly altered this year. The flag at the start has been shifted eastward fifteen feet. This will give the west crew deeper water than it has formerly had. For two miles the course is unchanged, but after the two-mile flag the course bends west, then strikes straight for the finish. The finish flag will be nearer the Groton shore than usual to avoid the docks used in building the new railroad bridge which will cross the river here.

Harvard will use the launch "Niantic" to coach from, but unfortunately it is not fast enough to keep up to the crew when speeding.

Yale has a very strong crew. Whether Harvard can show a stronger one cannot be told until the Cambridge eight has been seen on the water.