Records Made by Amateur Athletes in 1888.

During the past year, many new laurels have been won, in almost every branch of record athletics, by members of the various athletic clubs. The colleges have held their own at every contest in which they have been represented, and, although at the Mott Haven meeting last May comparatively few records were broken, the account of the work that was done during the summer, at home and abroad, by college athletes, will have a prominent place in the annals of athletic sports. The leading athletic clubs have divided themselves into two associations, the National Amateur Athletic Association and the New Amateur Athletic Union. Both of these associations have held several well-contested field meetings during the year, and the results of the meetings go far towards proving conclusively that the American athletes are superior to those from England and Ireland. Fewer records were made in running than in almost any other sport but of the record-breakers in sprinting, C. H. Sherill, Yale, '89, stands at the head. At New Haven, June 15, Sherrill ran 125 yards in 12 3-5 seconds, beating the record which Wendell Baker, Harvard '86. made several years ago. He ran 150 yards in 15 seconds, breaking the world's record in that event. His next trial at sprinting resulted in his breaking another best record by covering 250 yards in the remarkably quick time of 25 4-5 seconds. This record will probably stand for some years, and it will be hard to find any one to beat Mr. Sherrill's remarkable performance. G. R. Gray, of the New York Athletic Club broke many records at putting the shot during the summer, and at the Amateur Athletic meeting held in New York last Saturday, he succeeded in breaking the record for putting the twenty-four-pound shot by eight inches. His throw was 33 feet, 3 inches, and he has made equally wonderful records in putting the twelve and fifteen-pound shots. His first trial was with the twelve-pound shot which he hurled 50 feet, 6 inches, beating the best previous record by several feet. In putting the sixteen pound shot he far surpassed all college records ever made, by a throw of 44 feet, 5 in. In the high jumping, Webster, of the University of Pennsylvania, broke the world's record at the Mott Haven games by a jump of 5 ft. 11 1-2 inches. Previous to this time, Page of the same college held the record, which has not yet been equaled by a representative of any other college. In pole-vaulting the college record made by Shearman (Yale) is 2 feet 2 inches below the record made in England, land last September by Ray. A. Copeland, of the Manchester Athletic Club ran the 120-yards hurdle race in 14 3-5s. thus beating the intercollegiate record by 2 3-5s. Princeton has sent strong representatives to almost all the games. One of its men, Dohm, has won an enviable reputation in nearly every contest in running the quarter-mile. While abroad during the summer, he broke many of the best records of European athletes, and his work during his return has rarely been surpassed.