The Cambridge Stroke.

In a recent issue of the Boston Post there appeared an interesting article on the English stroke by Mr. J. Watson Taylor, who rowed No. 2 in the Cambridge (England) university crew and was captain of that crew in 1881. The article is to a great extent, due to the discussion as to the relative merits of the Harvard and Yale strokes and runs as follows; In the April number of Outing a system is described called the "English System of Rowing," the chief features of which are: The stroke-A catch and swing back with stationary slide, then a slide with stationary body because of the legs. The recovery-A shoot forward of the hands, then a swing forward of the body, then, "and not till then," a slide forward.

This system, Mr. Taylor says, has scarcely any resemblance to the English system of rowing. The science of rowing has not remained inthe state in which has not remained in the state in which Mr. Cook found it in 1872. The progressive spirit of this century has shown itself in the science of rowing, and while Americans are ahead in the science of rigging, Englishmen are probably ahead in the science of rowing, on account of their superior leg work. In 1885 Mr. Storrow paid a good deal of attention ts leg work with excellent results; since then Yale has improved her leg-work but not at the expense of other important principles.

In the article referred to the English system of rigging is also incorrectly described. The play of the slide is less in England than in America. There is also a great difference in the build of the oars. Oxford uses oars with 3 feet 9 inches "in board length," Cambridge with 3 feet 10 inches "in board length." The extra length "in board" must give gieater power of leverage and a stronger finish. It certainly prevents any difficulty in keeping the button against the pin at both ends of the stroke an important principle in watermanship. Rowing at Cambridge has for sixteen years been under the charge of Mr. Herbert Rhodes. The principles of his system are: The hands must shoot away smartly from the chest; as they release the body for the swing which actually (though not theoretically) begins before the arms are perfectly straight. In any case the swing begins before the slide and carries the slide forward with it, both being slow and steady, especially the slide, and the forward movement both of slide and body must end at the same moment. In the moving forward let the body be well balanced, the feet planted firmaly against the stretcher, and the inside arm constantly moving against the oar and extending it. This will keep the button up. When fully forward in which position the knees should be open to about the breadth of the chest, the oar, which ought to have been gradually coming to the water on the forward swing (the hand pressure becoming lighter and lighter as it reaches over the stretcher) must grip the water firm, square and clean, the whole weight of the body being lifted onto it (not with a snap) off the stretcher and from the thighs. Almost, but not quite at the same moment, the legs begin their office. They drlve-drive the slide back and the oar through as the body swings until towards the finish the knees are flattened down and the stroke is thus pressed in a firm and solid sweep right home on to the chest, the outside hand of elbow being swung past the side and the shoulders rowed back. The pressure is not relaxed for a moment since the finish is the most important part of the whole stroke. For a good solid finish flow a steady swing, a firm beginning and a hard stroke. The slide is distributed throughout the stroke, not wasted in one short snappy shove.

The great superiority of this system over that of this year's Harvard crew is on the recover. The pose of the trunk is free, open and erect. The oar is feathered with the wrists; the hands are shot away at once in the same plane with the arms, and with the assistance of the powerful muscles of the shoulder, while the arms quickly resume their proper place. The ease and rapidity of these actions increase the speed and control the equilibrium. The muscles are exerted equally, and the erect trunk permits the lungs to be filled with deep draughts of air.

In the present Harvard system the finish is very poor. The trunk is doubt led up, the shoulders are rounded and breathing is not free. The boat's impetus is interrupted by the labored action of feathering with the outside forearm and elbow and by the "sudden rush forward of the arms and trunk" after feathering. The whole weight of the rowing crew is shifted aft together, with the result that the stern is buried and the impetus again interrupted at the very moment when every extra ounce of weight tells, while the oarsman is brought to the full reach in a shapeless condition and out of trim for the coming struggle.

As stated above, Mr. Storrow is sound on legwork, but this legwork without "form" will be of no avail against Yale. At New London this year the professionals thought the Yale crew rowed like professionals, yet their form was as good as ever. It was their watermanship and legwork which made the comparison possible. In addition to this the Yale crew were remarkable for what in England would be called "smartness," they were always under the influence of discipline, which goes a long way toward insuring success.