Atlantic Monthly.

The November issue of the Atlantic Monthly contains a number of articles which must prove very interesting to the American. The first article, entitled "Character of Democracy in the United States," is perhaps the best one in this number. Its author, Mr. Woodrow Wilson, brings out the four following points, viz: that the general forces of democracy have been undermining all old forms of government; that these forces had nothing to do with the creation of our government; that they nevertheless had some effect upon us as part of the general influences of the age; and that the problems of organization and leadership are the most important questions of the day.

The article on "The French in Canada" by E. G. Scott gives the reader an excellent idea of the weakness of the French colony in Canada, and of the impossibility of its existence after the French "bayonets" had been withdrawn. "The First Mayor" by Octave Thanet, is an interesting story of the paper-money craze. "Some Romances of the Revolution" by Edward T. Hayward is an excellent study of William Gilmore Simmes' six novels on the revolutionary period. The other articles of the number are up to the usual high standard of the Monthly, the one entitled "Materials for Landscape Art in America" being perhaps the best.