Hare and Hounds.

In spite of the threatening aspect of the weather, a goodly number of students witnessed the start of the third Hare and Hounds run of the season. At a few minutes after four, the Hares, Webster '87, and Dudley '87, started from Matthews. Seven minutes after the master, Russel '87, led a pack of nine hounds in pursuit. The course led across the yard, through Divinity Avenue, and into Norton woods where the scent was lost for a few moments. The course now led towards the Somerville bleachery, and over Winter hill where the omnipresent "mucker" had laid false trails and baffled the hounds for several minutes. Picket fences, unpleasant bogs, vegetable gardens, etc, had to be crossed, but these difficulties only served to give more excitement to the sport

By this time it was rapidly darkening and when Charlestown was reached it was with the greatest difficulty that the trail could be followed. At the Charlestown flats all traces of the Hares were lost, and owing to the darkness it was impossible to find the bags. The break for home then took place through Union Square, Kirkland St. to the gymnasium.

The Hares arrived home at 5.15 and the Hounds a quarter of an hour later. The first Hound in was Russel '87, closely followed by Braudt '85, Hazard '85, and Blake '87. The hunt was of the right length and was greatly enjoyed by all participants. It would be better, however, to have the next one a little earlier to avoid the darkness.