Handicap Athletic Meeting.

Yesterday afternoon the regular Fall handicap Athletic Meeting was held on Holmes Field. The weather was favorable and the track was in good condition, yet no records were broken. The 100 yards dash was the first event. The first trial heat was won by S. Saltonstall in 10 3-4 seconds, Cook '92 second. Saltonstall had a handicap of four yards while Cook had two yards. O. K. Hawes, '92. won the second heat in 10 3-4 seconds with a handicap of two yards, H. T. Holliis '92 being second with seven yards handicap. In the third heat only one man entered. The final heat which was run later was won by Saltonstall in 10 1-2 seconds, Hawes coming in second. The next event was the two mile bicycle race. This was extremely interesting as both the scratch men were heavily handicapped. Six men contested, Brown and Greenleaf being scratch men. The event was won by J. E. Tweedy '93, who had a start of 150 yards. His time was 6 minutes, 4 1-5 seconds. P. W. Davis, '93, with 150 yards handicap was sec. The mile walk came next, with Ware '93 having 50 seconds start, C. R. Bardeen '93, thirty seconds and C. T. R. Bates '92 at the scratch. Ware was passed by Bardeen in the second lap and slowly lost ground from that on. The race between Bates and Bardeen then became very close and it was not until within 100 yards of the finish that Bates passed his opponent. His time was 7 minutes, 7 2-5 seconds, Bardeen being about thirty seconds later. Only two contestants appeared to put the shot, W. H. Shea '92, who was scratch and R. W. Wood '91, with a handicap of five feet. Shea won with a distance of 4 feet 6 1-2 inches. Wood's best distance was 34 feet 2 inches with the handicap. The running high jump which was the next event was contested by R. G. Leavitt. L. S. with one inch handicap, and C. Andrade with four inches, Fearing who was scratch man not appearing. Leavitt won with a jump of 5 feet 7 1-4 inches. The 440 yards dash had fourteen entries but only ten men appeared on time, E. B. Hinkley, L. S. one of the scratch men being one of the absentees. The race was exceedingly close and was won by T. J. Stead, '91, who had five yards handicap. His time was 53 2-5 seconds. J. C. Hubbard, '92, with twenty-five yards came next. The mile run was the next event, W. C. Downs, '90, and G. Collamore, '93, being the only contestants. The former was scratch and the latter given seventy five yards. Collamore won the event in 4 minutes, 39 seconds. Downs' time was only 4 minutes, 44 1-5 seconds. The next event was throwing the hammer. Four men contested, but the scratch man, Allen, withdrew, W. H. Shea, '92, who had a handicap of 10 feet, won the event with a throw of 85 feet, 3 1-2 inches. E. B. Hinkley, L. S., who had 12 feet was the second man, his throw being 84 feet, 6 1-2 inches. In the two mile safety bicycle race there were only three entries, E. A. Bailey, '91, and R. H. Davis, '91, being at the scratch, while P. W. Davis, '93, was given 300 yards. This proved too great a handicap and Davis won in 6 minutes, 14 1-2 seconds. R. H. Davis came next, his time being 6 minutes, 24 2-5 seconds. The running broad jump had three contestants with Leavitt at the scratch. F. Mason, with 4 inches handicap won the event by a jump of 19 feet, 4 inches including his handicap. E. B. Hinkley, L. S., 4 inches handicap, was second with 18 feet, 10 inches. The trial heats of the 220 yards dash were then run. S. Saltonstall, '93, with 10 yards handicap and J. S. Cook, '92, 8 yds, won first places. H. T. Hollis, '92, (15 yards), and O. K. Hawes, '92, (8 yards), came in seconds. The final heat was won by Cook in 23 3-5 seconds. Saltonstall came next. The 880-yards dash was won by G. L. Batchelder, '92, having fifty yards handicap. His time was 2 minutes, 5 4-5 seconds. J. L. Dodge with 20 yards, came next. The pole vault was postponed until next week. The following men were officers of the course: W. H. Goodwin, Jr., '84 referee; G. B. Morrison, '83, and F. B. Lund, '88 judges; H. Bemis, '87, judge of walking, R. S. Hale, starter.